Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Mac keychain password to access turbotax 2022

Dear INTUIT:

This is a serious problem, which I have never had before, despite years and years of using TurboTax on the Mac.  I did NOT make this year's tax forms restricted and now after two hours of entering data, I can't even save it. I click numerous times on the "File" menu and it demands a password I don't have and never gave.

There is no excuse for this flaw.

TUrboTax has really dropped the ball this year. I've been using the app on the Mac for more than a decade and all of a sudden this extremely serious problem has cropped up out of nowhere. No one to call for support. Didn't they do basic "beta" testing before releasing this half-baked application on their customers?

This is a serious design flaw in an app that has never had a problem like this before.

TurboTax should:

1) Apologize profusely to Mac users for this screw-up.

2) FIX your application immediately. This is a new and serious problem.

I do not believe that people who have TurboTax open, with data entered, need to shut down their computer.

The workaround is to select Always allow.  Do not select Allow.

If you have entered data, do this:

Click Menu>File.  The Apple message pops up. 

Enter your macOS user password.* 

Click Always allow.

This problem is certainly at Intuit's door.  A testing failure.  I'll write again about that.

-------

But the problem is also Apple's. 

Intuit is using the macOS Keychain.

The message is from macOS. 

The behavior is fishy: Why does clicking Allow not work?

And: If that is because of some option Intuit has chosen:

Why is Allow highlighted, and not Always allow??

*  Your macOS user password:  The one you use to log in and to continue from the screensaver or sleep.

OK, as a TT support agent, I will explain, "Yes, you are correct, in theory."  However, as someone who has done tech support for a LONG TIME, having user reboot machine first is really just a precaution to make sure there are no hidden problems still lurking in the background.

THUS,  (for an advanced user, always allow  is a valid answer:

BUT if they're on the phone with me, I will ALWAYS have them reboot, and do it in order to avoid 'bugs'

Thanks, Michelle.

But: the many posts tell the reason to NOT reboot first to work around this bug.

One poster had worked for two hours entering data, then clicked Menu>File, planning to >Save.

Instead the Keychain message popped up.  (I was lucky.  I had worked only for less than a half hour, to add a new Schedule C.)

Please, TT Support Agents: Do not tell people who have worked for a long time to reboot, when there is a well known fix for the specific problem.  Please, please, please.

The rest of this message is for Management:  I know it will be very tough, but please teach all support people to first look for a specific fix that matches the specific problem. Please. 

And, when there is a problem affecting many, please get the fix to the front line promptly. Please, please, please.

StephBW10

This worked!! Thanks

THIS IS THE ANSWER:

Go into MacintoshHD ... applications .... utilities .... keychain access.  Open the "keychain access" app.  Search for "intuit" and a few things will come up.  Click on one of them that says "application password."  Go to the "access control" tab. Select the bullet that says, "Allow all applications to access this item."  Obviously, you will probably need your mac password or main keychain password to make this change.  There are limits to my powers,

Still not working - it still asks for keychain password to make any change. I have spent way too long on this. HELP!

Please - what is the fix? I followed instructions, but still asking to enter keychain password after clicking save changes.

This needs to be fixed - I have used TT for years - not cannot move forward!!!

Rather than allowing all apps to access this password, you can add just allow TT22 (or whatever version) to access it.

For whatever reason you have to use Always Allow when it asks for the access to the keychain to get pass this horrible software glitch that TT refuses to address.  Even customer service is ignorant about this issue

DMDRWD

It's not the password applied to the document. 

DMDRWD

Exact message: TurboTax 2022 wants to use the "login" keychain.  Then prompts for password. Does not accept the Turbotax password or computer login one. Comes up when I click on the File menu.  It was a problem when software first installed.  But through multiple freezes I managed to enter ALL tax info except for the last 1099.  It's ready, and when I try to import it, TT insists on the login keychain but does not accept it when entered.  Very frustrating.  I am almost done after 100 hours.  Do I have to switch to another software? Or will Intuit fix this glitch?

HI DMDRWD--

Not sure if you saw my original message but I had the exact same problem. I was FINALLY able to get into my account but when I tried to save the file, TT would not allow me to. I was hitting "always allow", entering password, then hitting the "enter" key. Turns out I should have been entering the "always allow" button again-- not the enter key. Could not believe that was what was causing the problem. It worked for me - hope it works for you. I am using a Mac, which seems to be where problems always occur.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies