Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How come EVERY TIME I open my Turbo Tax to continue working on my return, I get a message for another [profanity] 185MB update? This is RIDICULOUS with this product?

@allene - I have used TurboTax every year for as long as TurboTax has existed and because I answer questions in this Forum I update TurboTax as soon as it is available.   I probably have about 50 test tax return data files and NEVER has a single data file become corrupted or lost because of an update.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

How come EVERY TIME I open my Turbo Tax to continue working on my return, I get a message for another [profanity] 185MB update? This is RIDICULOUS with this product?

What I am worried about is not my data being corrupt but perhaps some calculation changing. But bottom line, why would I want to upgrade a program for a year that was already filed?

@allene wrote:

What I am worried about is not my data being corrupt but perhaps some calculation changing. But bottom line, why would I want to upgrade a program for a year that was already filed?

Prime example is tax code changes which affects prior year tax returns.  Tax code change for the Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit was passed in December of 2019 that affected both tax year 2018 and tax year 2019.  An update to the TurboTax 2018 software was needed for this tax code change.

So would it alert me I needed to file an amended return or just recalculate things with the new rules?

@allene wrote:

The calculations changing for what you filed would be very rare and if they do then you should probably amend to fix it (TurboTax usually sends an email warning if they fix an error that could affect the return  that you filed.

Also, if you ever need to amend then the software should be up to date.   You can also now e-file 2019 amended tax returns that came out in an update about a week ago.

Many updates only add forms that the IRS was late to produce or to fix cosmetic (wording) errors on screens of help files.

You should always save a PDF copy for your entire tax return and not depend on opening old tax files that might not be possible if you upgrade your computer than the new computer operating system is not compatible with the older software.     (Mac users found that out the hard way for 2014 & 2015 that were impossible to open after upgrading the Mac from  OSX 10.13.2 to OSX 10.13.3 - Apple made in internal change to Apples own java script interpreter that crashed when reading a java component of TurboTax.   Since TurboTax does not support any year prior to 2016 and it is a Apple error (that Apple refused to acknowledge), they are just out of luck.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@allene wrote:

So would it alert me I needed to file an amended return or just recalculate things with the new rules?

Actually no - that can only happen for online filers.   Your tax data file only exists on your computer for desktop users.

On my Mac version, I have only the option to upgrade. If I choose otherwise, the program will not open. Can you see how frustrating this is?

It you temporarily  disconnect your Mac from the internet then TurboTax will not be able to check for updates and after trying twice, will give up and open anyway.

On my Windows 10 PC if I click on Update I can then click on Cancel and Turbo Tax will open.  On TT 2017 it gives the option to do the  upgrade later. That is what I always clicked on. For 2018, I just canceled the update.

They should not require an update for a return that has been finished. Very user hostile. 

There's just no reason for repeated updates when there has been no change to the tax laws. I share the frustration of the people who started this thread and all the others since then. Especially because TT refuses to fix or even address the problem.

PFSlow
Returning Member

April 2021, 2020 H&B Mac version. This issue still continues. 

The CA State version doesn't always try to update every day but the Fed version does. I've contacted Intuit support a few times over the years without a working solution other than being told I don't really have a problem. 

This problem has been going on for more years than I can count — at least 3 different iMacs. It's beyond ridiculous. I've been using this since it was MacinTax in 1986.

Still a problem for TY2022 version. Keeps saying I need to install a 23X.X MB update whenever I relaunch TT for the first time that day, every day or at least every day that I use TT. Seems like the updates are exactly the same size, though I haven't written them down so not sure beyond 230MB.

Mac ver.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below TurboTax help article to see if that helps resolve your issue.

TurboTax for Mac won't open when installed

@lychee 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The only solution I see, given this is an issue for a zillion customers, and noting has been done by Intuit, is to change to a different brand of tax software. I suggest everyone do the same.

I've decided to request a refund and have done so.

go to refundrequest.intuit.com

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies