turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Robjkrespo
Returning Member

Laptop deduction!

I have question that I've been trying to have answered. I'm in school and we need a laptop. I know I can deduct it but my question is can I deduct the whole amount even if my laptop is on a payment plan . Also can I include the interest for the life of the plan ? 

If I can't deduct the entire purchase price in a year only the payments ? Can I include the interest as well ? 

Thank you so much ! 
Robert 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Laptop deduction!

You can’t deduct your laptop but it’s an educational expense for the purpose of the American Opportunity education credit. If you are claimed as a dependent your parent claims that credit if otherwise eligible. 

Robjkrespo
Returning Member

Laptop deduction!

Thank you so much ! I claim myself if I did use AOE can I deduct the entire purchase price plus interest ( life of the plan)  even though its on a payment plan or only what I pay for the laptop in a year? 

Thank you so much !

Robert 

Laptop deduction!

If you are not claimed by anyone else use the amount you actually spent in the tax year you are filing. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Laptop deduction!

Q.  If I did use AOE can I claim the entire purchase price?

A.  Yes.  You are considered as having paid for the course material (the required computer) with borrowed money.

Q. Can I claim the interest paid.

A. No.

A separate issue:

A full time unmarried student, under age 24, even if you don't qualify as a dependent, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit if he supports himself by working. You cannot be supporting yourself on parental support, 529 plans or student loans & grants.   It is usually best if the parent claims that credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies