Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K1 income not passive, but Turbotax enters it as passive

Hi,

I've got a K1 that says none of the income flowing through to me is considered passive.* But Turbotax automatically considers it passive. How do I change that in the program?

Thanks,

Mike

* From the K1: PLEASE NOTE THAT NONE OF THE DISTRIBUTIVE SHARE ITEMS REPORTED ON SCHEDULE K-1 ARE CONSIDERED AS DERIVED FROM A PASSIVE ACTIVITY UNDER TREASURY REGULATION SECTION 1.469-1T(E)(6).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You  might want to contact Support (link below) for this issue,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

To the best of my knowledge, if you answered the preliminary questions correctly in the K-1 section of the program, then the only way to change the treatment from passive to nonpassive would be in Forms Mode directly on the K-1 in Section C.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

You  might want to contact Support (link below) for this issue,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

To the best of my knowledge, if you answered the preliminary questions correctly in the K-1 section of the program, then the only way to change the treatment from passive to nonpassive would be in Forms Mode directly on the K-1 in Section C.

stephaniel
Returning Member

Adding a +1 to this - I'm also seeing this same problem. The statements in the K-1 I received from an estate (for non passive rental real estate income) very clearly list the income as "non passive income". The K-1 gives instructions to file that income under Schedule E, line 33, column F (non passive).

However, no matter what options I click in the interview mode, I can't get Turbo Tax (Mac version, downloaded) to record it in the K-1 worksheet as non passive income; when I examine the underlying form, it always gets entered as passive. This means that, when the K-1 worksheet gets transferred to the Schedule E, the income is placed in the wrong box: Schedule E, Line 33, column D (passive), instead of non passive as it is listed in the K-1 I received from the estate.

I thought of editing the form myself, but there are all kinds of warnings about how I can't e-file if I do, and/or Turbo Tax won't back my return calculations anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

@stephaniel wrote:

I thought of editing the form myself, but there are all kinds of warnings about how I can't e-file if I do, and/or Turbo Tax won't back my return calculations anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, it does appear as if the program supports that (or a similar) scenario.

See https://digitalasset.intuit.com/DOCUMENT/A7LDFEv4x/040120-2019-unsupported-calcs-L1FQfTTgn.pdf

I have the exact same problem.  I own some residential properties that I rent out under a LLC. I actively manage these properties and file a tax return for the LLC using TurboTax for the first time this year. Now, I try to use TurboTax to file personal tax return for the first time. My accountant has reported the rental income from schedule K1 as non-passive in previous tax returns. For some reason, possibly a bug in the software, my K1 rental income always appears as passive income in schedule E, even though I kept trying different answers in the interview section. I would very much appreciate it if someone could suggest a solution or workaround to this problem.

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Rental activities are considered passive activities unless you materially participated as a real estate professional.  See the section of IRS Publication 925 at this link for more details.

TurboTax treat income and losses from real estate activities accordingly, i.e., you must be a real estate professional and must materially participate in the operation of the rental activity.

@tnnguyen1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am an asset manager who materially participated in the profit/ loss. Is it possible to have turbotax reflect this? I checked the box for "materially participated" but the income is still reflected on the wrong part of schedule E.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies