Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Joint or Separate Filing

Hi 

My wife has a plan to reach US on 30th December 2022. I am on L1 and she will be on L2 Visa. I married this year and my current status is filing separately. I am not sure whether she will be required to file her return ? Can I add her as my dependent? Should I change my deductions to filing jointly.?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
NancyM5
Employee Tax Expert

Joint or Separate Filing

L-1 and L-2 Visa holders need to determine if they meet the substantial presence test. Tax Tips for Resident and Non-Resident Aliens details this test in the section "Counting 183 days".  If your wife is arriving on December 30th of this year, it's unlikely that she'll fulfill the requirements of this test.  You can determine your best filing status by preparing your return with two different filing statuses: married filing jointly and married filing separately. Unfortunately, a spouse can not be claimed as a dependent. If your withholding is being calculated as a single individual, you are having more withheld than if you changed to a married individual.  I wouldn't suggest changing your withholding amount until after determining what you may owe in tax for the current year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies