Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

bach1222

Itsdeductible being discontinued.. WHAT???

I realize they were giving us its deductible for free, but if they charged a small fee, say $49 every year to keep it going, I'd sign up right now.  They have taken a very key component of TuroTax family away.  Wish they'd reconsider or put out a survey form to users about this.

Adding one more voice to the chorus.  I started using TurboTax because I used Quicken and keeping in the same eco system just makes things simpler.  Same reason why I've used Itsdeductible for years.

But Quicken is now separate and Itsdeductible is going away.  Not much of an eco system to keep me around, just one transition year that might have a bit more pain to transition to a different package.

I think its quite telling that the only viable alternative that I've read in this forum is DeductionPro with HR Block, which means I won't be using TurboTax ...

Jettisoning ItsDeductible after doing the same with Quicken is evidence that Intuit does not understand its own ecosystem. Perhaps it is suggestive that TurboTax is flawed more than is obvious. 

At least there is time in the current tax year to find an adequate lifeboat that will not be too much work to get into.

I have done taxes for over 50 years and have enjoyed the Intuit package for as many years as it has been available. It has made my life easier. 

Blind to its strength and deaf to its users. 

Perhaps it's time to seek the lifeboats, I think that I see an iceberg ahead. "Hard starboard!"

I have to push back a little on statements describing ItsDeductible as being free until now. The chart on the back of my package for 2021 TurboTax ( and many previous years) shows ItsDeductible as being one of the features which separates the Deluxe, Premier and Home & Business editions from the Basic edition. This leads me to believe that one of the reasons I would *pay* for something other than Basic is because of the additional features (one of which is ItsDeductible). This in turn leads me to believe it was not free, just as the “1 State via download” feature isn’t free. If all of the additional features are free, then why should the other editions cost anything more than the Basic edition?

Several other people have suggested that ItsDeductible should continue to be available until the 2022 tax season has concluded, and this seems like a much more reasonable and responsible way for Intuit to handle the change. Those who say that this will lead to the same problem next year are overlooking the fact that by extending the end date, TT’s customers are being treated more respectfully and are getting a reasonable amount of time to react to the change. We have now been put on notice, and starting on 1/1/2023, will not be expecting a 2023 version of ItsDeductible to be available.

Since I am not privy to Intuit’s financial information, I have no idea how much it has been costing them to sustain ItsDeductible, but I’d be surprised if it was even a blip on the radar compared to the $141 million class action settlement they recently agreed to. I hope someone in their company will give serious reconsideration to this matter. If you need to charge more for the product, charge more for the product. Don’t diminish the product.

Good point Quicymagoo. Nothing's really free. If you order fries, you get ketchup on the side. They've factored in the overhead into the price of the fries already. 

Another thought, TT free edition has so many restrictions, it's not really free for most people. 

Also, I assume that most users of ItsDeductible are TT users. There's probably few people who use ItsDeductible and then turn around and either use a different software or pen/paper return. 

AND, in a few years when the increase in personal deduction expires, I believe in 2025, more folks will be coming back looking for ItsDeductible. (Unless of course current administration at the time extends it). Personally I'd be happier to write off the full amount of my property taxes and not be limited to 10k. 

I have been very dependent on Its Deductible to record donations, both cash and non cash, as well as stock.  It was a valuable resource and I appreciated the ease of importing data to my return..  can’t believe they are discontinuing it midway into tax year.  This will certainly affect my decision about utilizing a new tax program rather than turbo tax. I was happy to be able to do my own taxes, but not sure Turbo Tax is worth it anymore.

looked at Mint and it does not meet my need.

Intuit, please do not discontinue ItsDeductible.  I also use Mint and it does not have the item donation functionality.  While it can summarize money donations, it does not import them into TurboTax.

@ curtisby , @ TaxesWhyMe, @ EricBBL , @ bach1222 , @ Sag33   and others

So far this thread has had close to 2,000 views.  

Fans of ItsDeductible who have been posting in the thread no doubt have noticed there are no responses from TurboTax in this thread since the "powers that be" at TurboTax do not tend to read the user community forum except for a few seasonal employees who help answer user questions during taxfiling season from January to April.

If you want to try to get a response from Intuit, here's how to provide feedback directly to Intuit corporate office about your displeasure with their cancellation of ItsDeductible.    It may not change their mind about discontinuing ItsDeductible, but it will at least let them know how people feel about it.

If you wish to do so, you can go to the page below. Just below the page's main header tabs, you'll see a screen-wide blue banner that prominently says:

"Do you have a question, concern, or feedback about an Intuit product or service?"

There is a "Send an email" link.  It goes to a designated person in the office of the president of Intuit, and they supposedly will assign it to the right team for review.

NOTE:  Do NOT send any sensitive personal data since that is regular email--not secure email.

https://www.intuit.com/company/executives/

Mesquitebean, Great idea, everyone should do that before they take the banner down. 

Send a link to the thread, so we're not reinventing the wheel. 

Sachaaa
Returning Member

Thank you for the Salvation Army list.  Goodwill has a list too.  Very disappointed in Turbo Tax discontinuing Itsdeductible; they could have implemented this at the end of this year for 2022 taxes.  It's truly a disservice to loyal customers and the timing just sucks! If few people use this tool, then blame it on TT's marketing.  TT certainly spent a lot of advertising money saying people could file free using TT, which turned out to be not true because TT is being sued because of the deception.  This has been all over the news.  Maybe all their effort is going into fighting the law suits instead of encouraging people to use itsdeductible.  Very disappoint in TT.  I'll probably move over to HR Block or use the IRS free filing tool.  HR Block has the DeductionPro.  I have always bragged about TT to encourage friends to use it, but not anymore, unless they reinstate itsdeductible, at least to the end of the year of 2022 for the filing of 2022 taxes.  

Sachaaa
Returning Member

Thank you for the Salvation Army list.  Goodwill has a list too.  Very disappointed in Turbo Tax discontinuing Its deductible; they could have implemented this at the end of this year for 2022 taxes.  It's truly a disservice to loyal customers and the timing just sucks! If few people use this tool, then blame it on TT's marketing.  TT certainly spent a lot of advertising money saying people could file free using TT, which turned out to be not true because TT is being sued because of the deception.  This has been all over the news.  Maybe all their effort is going into fighting the law suits instead of encouraging people to use its deductible.  Very disappoint in TT.  I'll probably move over to HR Block or use the IRS free filing tool.  HR Block has the Deduction Pro.  I have always bragged about TT to encourage friends to use it, but not anymore, unless they reinstate its deductible, at least to the end of the year of 2022 for the filing of 2022 taxes.  

In case you all did not notice they barely got the 2022 tab open this year at all and it is riddled with issues so it is not a surprise they are shutting it down.  

Critter-3- Oh we noticed! It was pretty wonky through Feb/March. Search function didn't work. I think this discussion would be a lot more heated if they just shut it down one day and didn't tell us.  IMO, discussion has been constructive and offers great suggestions to TT.  Ending it mid-year is just a bad idea. Poor customer service. Our ideal situation would be to continue some form of ItsDeductible indefinitely. 

@Sachaaa wrote:

R Block has the Deduction Pro.  

Is that incorporated into their tax preparation products?

Obviously, you want a program that allows you to enter donations as they are made throughout the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies