Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

ITIN to SSN update

Once you qualify and obtain a SSN, you are required to notify the IRS of the change and discontinue using the ITIN. Once notified, the IRS will combine your tax records and begin using your SSN. Because the IRS automatically combines all of your tax records, you do not have to file an amended return to change the ITIN to a SSN. The IRS will automatically make the change to your tax return once it receives your request.

Write a letter to the IRS requesting that your ITIN be combined with your new SSN. Include your name, ITIN, Social Security number and mailing address.

Make a copy of your Social Security card.

Make a copy of your CP565 notice, which is the Notice of ITIN Assignment you received from the IRS when assigned your ITIN.

Attach the copies of your Social Security card and the CP565 form to the back of the letter.

Sign and date the letter. Mail all three documents to: Internal Revenue Service Austin, TX 73301-0057

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

ITIN to SSN update

Do you get your returns back? 

ITIN to SSN update

I did that on March 27th still no response from them. Any way to follow up?

mohitIn

ITIN to SSN update

I had also send letter to IRS to discontinue ITIN and update with SSN .

But i din't find CP565, so i send my latest tax return where my ITIN was there with my spouse return as ITIN proof. Will it work?

Also i need to apply for PTIN, what would be the process since registering for PTIN give me 3 option 

1) apply with SSN :- I have SSN but my previous return are with ITIN

2) "Without SSN" :- only if you do not have a Social Security Number and you reside outside of the United States

Which i am not ? also i have SSN

3) ""With SSN – No Recent Tax Return" if you file your tax returns with the Departamento de Hacienda (Puerto Rico) instead of with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service."

This option is also not for me 

Please assist me with above 2 queries 

1) can i provide the 2019 tax return as proof for CP565? if not what could replace CP565

2) How to apply PTIN

ITIN to SSN update

Hi, 

Could you let me know did you sent original ITIN or copy of ITIN to IRS?

Also, can i send it through FedEx tracking  (given that SSN in it) or is that mandatory it should be regular USPS Mail only to send to IRS?

thanks

ITIN to SSN update

Its copy of ITIN and sent via USPS

ITIN to SSN update

I am in similar situation. My wife got SSN in 2017. We didn’t know that we have to inform IRS to rescind the ITIN and move all income to SSN. On 2018 and 2019 return I see her ITIN is listed.

I remembered I used the SSN while filing but now we can see its ITIN on returns( can’t confirm if my mistake or it is overriden by IRS with ITIN)

We sent a letter to IRS last week to rescind the ITIN and use SSN. As we got SSN in 2017 so once IRS will update the SSN on IT returns will she be eligible for stimulus  while filing 2020 returns

ITIN to SSN update

@Mohit2002in 

The IRS will not recind the ITIN it will combine (marry)  the tax records with the SS#  and if you miss either advance credit stimulus checks this year due to this situation then you will be able to apply for them on the 2020 return you will file in just 3 months. 

ITIN to SSN update

Thanks for the info.

Just to confirm that in this situation my wife will also be eligible for stimulus check on 2020 returns

ITIN to SSN update

The stimulus was being handed out in 2019 in advance however it really is a 2020 credit so when you file the 2020 return you will get the credit if you qualify. 

ITIN to SSN update

Thanks @Critter-3 

While claiming  tax credit in 2020 tax returns will they check 2019 income or 2020 income for stimulus payment eligibility?

ITIN to SSN update

ITIN to SSN update

There is no IRS customer care number right now to get status on request submitted for SSN merge  with ITIN.

How much weeks it can take?

Also will IRS notify us after changes done?

ITIN to SSN update

How much weeks it can take?  Unknown ... this is an internal situation and there is no way to "check" on it.   If you used the ITIN on the 2019 return then the 2020 return may have to be mailed in but other than that the change will be behind the scenes. 

Also will IRS notify us after changes done?  No they will not. 

ITIN to SSN update

It took six months for me. Submitted in march and rescind complete in September. May be because of covid shut down. 

itin customer care is [phone number removed]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies