Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Is this true about topic 152?

Topic 152 is simply general information about tax refunds. A FAQ essentially.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

How do u verify. I just got custody of my kids so I haven’t ever filed them well not in like 5 years I was assuming I’d have to verify something but they get survivors benefits and I’m the beneficiary so I figured they’d use their resources but guess not am I able to just do it over the phone 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

The IRS issues more than 9 out of 10 refunds in the normal time frame: less than 21 days. However, it’s possible that some tax returns may require further review and could take longer.

If you haven't received a tax notice requiring additional information you should just wait.  If you have received a tax notice requesting additional information the Where's My Refund? tool directs you to contact IRS.

They typically will give their main number, but i suggest you contact a local branch.  You can call toll-free at 1-800-829-1040 or visit a Taxpayer Assistance Center Local IRS Office .

@Kate729833

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I tried calling the irs about topic 152 only get a automated system it has been over 21 days what do I do? There has been no update or anything as to why 

It only goes to an automated system is there an actual number

It’s only automated not a person 

@Marienobles12 Tax topic 152 is a generic tax topic. This one is nothing to be concerned about. However, if it's been 21 days, and calling the IRS hasn't gotten you anywhere, you can either keep trying, or get in touch with your local tax advocate. But I guarantee that if you call the IRS with a concern about TT152, they're gonna tell you the same thing. 

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Topic 152 is a generic message the IRS gives to let you know they are still processing your tax return. You will not receive a refund until the processing is complete. TurboTax does not receive updates from the IRS once they have accepted your return.

If the IRS changes the code and needs additional information they will mail you a letter. Please see this from the IRS for more information: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc152.

@Marienobles12

jessica7ha
Returning Member

Not true. I have tt152 and I dont use banks. I get a check mailed. 

BerlyH

Tax Topic 152 is a generalized topic. It states how long it typically takes the IRS to process a return and general info about direct deposit. IT DOES NOT MEAN You need to verify identity or that your being audited. If it means anything at all, It means your refund will be direct deposited into the account you listed in approximately 21 days. 
If you’re NOT certain about what something means, Google it before stating your experience as a fact. 
To confuse matters more, Some blog/tax guru writer wrote that Tax Topic 152 means YOU ARE GETTING A TAX REFUND. So to hear this, Your return is already “approved” and waiting to be deposited. 
Ive read several comments stating that WMR never updated to say “approved” or a deposit date. But their refund was deposited into their account. After they received their refund and checked WMR again, It was still processing. 
I know from my own personal experience, I’ve NEVER checked WMR and had an “approved” and/or deposit date. I’ve always been notified that my return was deposited by the notifications associated with my bank/bank app. 
For reference, I file Head of Household and have 2 dependents. 

BerlyH

TAX TOPIC 152 DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH VERIFYING YOUR IDENTITY. You may have needed to verify identity along with having TT 152 because you opted for direct deposit. 
Every year I have TT 152 when I check my status on WMR, NOT ONCE have I EVER needed to verify my identity or had any other issue. 

As in my case it does it’s been more then 21 days. After reading up on it and finding out that was the case with many people I checked my return and noticed turbo tax put in my old address even though my new address had been updated. Next also found many people were saying a glitch with turbo tax putting in they received their full stimulus and also finding if you received unemployment and did not file it could be the reason and would have to send in an amended tax form these are just some of the answers I found out for people over 21 days 

Refund information meaning what? I got my taxes approved feb 10 and they are still processing with the tax topic 152 showing up. What does this mean?

Mine as well go look back over your taxes I researched and looked they put my old address on my return even though I had updated my new address.. could be if you got unemployment and didn’t file or some people are saying turbo tax had a glitch where they put they received their full impact refund and turbo out something else so they have to do an amended like me. And the amended form is not out yet nor have I been able to reach the irs so I have no choice but to try and refile. My was received on the 10 as well and is still processing 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Topic152 has to do with refund timing. If your tax return was accepted, you should not file again. The best thing to do is to wait and see when the IRS is done processing it. 

Here is an IRS FAQ for topic 152.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc152

@Marienobles12 @adrionna26

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies