turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a correct way to fill out new W4P based on same status as old W4. Allowance word not there, dependent is. I had a flat rate, how do I fill this out the same way?

Data from W4 is the same married 1 allowance, flat rate of $$ to be withheld is the same. How do I plug them in to the new W4P.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Is there a correct way to fill out new W4P based on same status as old W4. Allowance word not there, dependent is. I had a flat rate, how do I fill this out the same way?

There is no way on the new form to have a flat rate ... does your pension plan not give you that as an option to check ?   Or are they requiring the W-4P ?   If so click on Married and hand it in and see what amount is withheld.  Then if it is not enough you can choose single  and/or  enter the missing amount on line 4C.    Review the withholding tables for monthly payments on pages 21 - 23 ... that may help you decide which filing status to claim and if you will need more on line 4c to get you to the amount you desire ...  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15t.pdf    FYI ... the filing status on the return doesn't need to be the same as the W-4. 

- 

Although, you cannot select a flat rate, you can choose an exact dollar amount.  See Line 4c:

2022 Form W-4P (irs.gov)

Ok, after a quick read of the publication referred by Critter, plus what you sent: I complete step 1 name address etc, status. Skip 2 and 3, and put the amount I want to be withheld in 4c, and that's it ? What I am missing is why the line (c) Extra Withholding, says after it "Enter any additional tax you want withheld from each payment ? That would imply that something prior will cause an amount to be withheld. If nothing is filled in except my Step 1 info, and the 4c amount, why is this ?

Thanks,

Steve

Talk to the retirement plan administrator to get this done the way they want it done and how you get the desired withholding. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies