Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

iDas
Level 2

Is it even possible to file for an extension from the desktop turbotax deluxe 2023 (electronically)?

I have been looking for a way to file for an extension (personal tax return) from within the Turbotax Deluxe Edition, desktop version, for a greater length of time than I would like to admit. Am I delusional? Should I order a fresh set of printer ink cartridges and secure a spot at the post office? 

thanks for any help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is it even possible to file for an extension from the desktop turbotax deluxe 2023 (electronically)?

@iDas Even if you are using the CD/download to prepare your return, you are allowed to use the EZ extension online if you want to.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

25 Replies

In desktop software--

Go to Federal>Other Tax Situations>Other Tax Forms>File an Extension

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
iDas
Level 2

I take it there's no option to apply for an extension electronically ...

Mailing the extension is pointless. they probably won't even open the mail until Dec.

@iDas Even if you are using the CD/download to prepare your return, you are allowed to use the EZ extension online if you want to.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

iDas
Level 2

You're a godsend, Champ! thank you

didn't work---doesn't give you a choice of using the file already filled out. Can't find the spot to actually SEND it electronically.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

It is easier to do it online.

Click here to file an extension.  Remember an extension is just for extra time to file, not extra time to pay.  If you are going to owe anything, you will still need to pay by April 15th. 

You can pay directly via the IRS website which is the recommended way or you can pay by check.  Be sure to include your SSN on your check and the tax year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Vanessa A Please address the 90% rule and paying when filing for an extension. The nature of an extension is that your return may not be right yet and one may not fully know what is due.

Use the free e-file version on the turbotax online.  

bd_wright

I had the same issue and figured it out... not intuitive... (geesh Intuit)

You have to completely exit the Turbo tax desktop software and reload it.  From the front page, instead of picking your return to work on, go find the box down below that says "File an Extension"

Hope that helps. 

dev-null1
Returning Member

xmasbaby0
Level 15

This worked flawlessly, unfortunately after I went through something similar, but more clunky and superfluous, on the Intuit site. However, it begs the question:
Do you think that was an Intuitive way to figure out how to file an extension?!?

In desktop software--

Go to Federal>Other Tax Situations>Other Tax Forms>File an Extension

Tried it. Got out & went thru the step by step extension process from the beginning of Turbo tax Software, only to be told we had to print & mail extension in. NO MENTION of OPTION To file Extension Electronically thru Turbo tax website. TURBOTAX FAIL!!  

lrubin42

the Federal Taxes -> Other Tax Statements -> file extension option only prints and tells you where to mail the forms, it does not e-file.

I had the same question, and after clicking on "File an Extension" as mentioned in other replies and answering the few questions, I saw a link for payment options (on the page where it tells you where to mail your printed form). I clicked on the link and it took me to the IRS website to make a payment. From there, I clicked on "Pay Now with Direct Pay". There was (of course!) another link on that page about other associated forms...so I clicked it and read this:

• Use IRS Direct Pay to make a full or partial payment on your taxes in order to receive an extension without having to file Form 4868.

I looked at the FAQ's and there was this information as well:

Between January 1st and the original due date of your return, visit the main Direct Pay page and select the “Make a Payment” button. On the page that follows,

• Select "Extension” as your “Reason for Payment.” (The "Apply Payment to..." field will then start with "4868," the IRS number for the extension request form) 
  • Verify your identity and make a payment

If you complete this process successfully, your payment will be credited towards the tax year for which you are requesting a filing extension, and you will automatically receive the extension. You will not need to file a separate Form 4868, Extension of Time to File Your Tax Return. You can verify your extension by logging into your account

You can pay what you expect to owe or a portion of it. However, a filing extension does not extend the deadline to pay what you owe. It only gives you more time to file your return. If you don’t pay what you owe by the original deadline, you could still owe penalties and interest.

The extension is typically until mid-October of the same year, even in years when the original return is due later than April 15. You don’t get to choose the length of a filing extension. It’s the same for most taxpayers, usually 6 months. Check our page on extension of time to file or this year's Form 4868 to be sure you don’t miss the extended deadline.

From my experience last year, if you don't go through the steps to file the extension in TurboTax desktop, it won't recognize that you actually filed the extension when you go to finish your taxes and submit. So I would go through the steps (and you'll see the amount of Federal Tax Due at the top go to zero) before going to the IRS website to pay and file the extension. That's what I plan to do!

This works well.  Doesn't require IRS PIN like the Turbo Tax online extension filer.   You can do the "file for extension" in desktop Turbotax after completing the above.  This generates a 4868 form to mail (which you should do because you did it online) and informs Turbotax desktop of the amount you paid with the extension.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies