Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it actually possible to get an ITIN without mailing supporting docs in 2022?

I'm trying to get an ITIN for my non-resident alien spouse to file a joint tax return. I have the tax return and W-7 ready, but I don't see any realistic way to file it.

These are the 3 ways to file:

1. Send my wife's documents in mail to the IRS. In my case the only document we can send is her passport. This is not an option because she is not a resident and is in the US for a limited time. If there is a delay (and I'm sure there will be a delay), she won't be able to leave the US on time and can be barred from entry in the future. Also, passport is the only picture id she has while she's here. 

2. Filing in-person at IRS tax payer assistance center. I need to make an appointment by phone but they never answer. I called them many times, it's just about 2 minutes of robot talking and then they drop the call. 

3. Filing via an acceptance agent. I went through a list of the certified acceptance agents from the IRS website and called all of them that are within 50 miles radius. Most of the don't answer, some said they don't have a license anymore, others said they won't accept any tax returns unless they make it themselves. So they want to start over, make a new return for me and my wife for an extra 1-2 thousand dollars, even though I already have a completely finished return and w-7. 

So none of these options work.

Is there any other way I can file?

Is there a trick to get an appointment with a taxpayer assistance center?

Are there acceptance agents that can confirm identity without making a tax return from scratch?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Read those instructions again ...  you must send the required paperwork or the application will be denied...

If you will need your original documents for any purpose within 14 weeks of submitting your ITIN application, you may wish to apply in person at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center or CAA. You may also choose to submit certified copies of documents from the issuing agency instead of original documents. Original documents you submit will be returned to you at the mailing address shown on your Form W-7. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-i-apply-for-an-itin

Sorry, should've mentioned this in the question. Getting a certified copy from the issuing agency is impossible in our case. The issuing agency (the government service of my wife's home country) does not provide these copies of passports. And the IRS doesn't accept copies from any other agency (like notarized copies). 

@mitya - alternative idea....is there ia reason you are filing Joint? can you file Married-Filing separate? why not? that way there is no ITIN required, your spouse's income is not reported, etc..... just an idea...

TomD8
Level 15

@mitya --

With regard to @NCperson's suggestion, you may wish to review this TurboTax support topic:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-credits-deductions/file-taxes-spouse...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

@NCperson We get a much larger refund when filing joint, that's the reason. I compared married filing separate before choosing joint. 

Just want to give everyone an update. 

I successfully called the IRS and got an appointment. I made about 30 calls at different time of day and they all were dropped by the robot, but then I got put on hold, the robot said the wait time is 16-30 minutes, I waited for about an hour, then they answered. An appointment was available for the next day. 

We went to the IRS taxpayer assistance center and filed the federal tax return with W-7, they confirmed my wife's identity and we got her passport back in a couple minutes. They didn't accept the state tax return though, so that one must be filed separately.

Interesting observation: while we were there people were walking in and scheduling appointments without making a call. So even though the IRS website says you must call to get an appointment, you can avoid that by walking in to the local IRS office and asking them to schedule an appointment in-person. That would help me a lot, because calling IRS is a very frustrating experience. 

Congrats ... you used option 1 successfully ...  

If you will need your original documents for any purpose within 14 weeks of submitting your ITIN application, you may wish to apply in person at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center or CAA. You may also choose to submit certified copies of documents from the issuing agency instead of original documents. Original documents you submit will be returned to you at the mailing address shown on your Form W-7. You don't need to provide a return envelope. Applicants are permitted to include a prepaid Express Mail or courier envelope for faster return delivery of their documents. The IRS will then return the documents in the envelope provided by the applicant. If your original documents aren’t returned within 14 weeks, you can call the IRS at 800-908-9982 (U.S. only) or for international, call 267-941-1000 (this is not a toll-free number).

The state return should be mailed in ONLY ONCE THE ITIN IS ISSUED. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies