turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Online Payment for Quarterly Estimated Taxes

I would like to pay my quarterly estimated business taxes through the IRS website (https://www.irs.gov/payments). I am a sole proprietor married filing jointly.

Is it best to make these payments through EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System) for businesses or through direct pay? Is it best to use my SSN or EIN? Must I also submit 1040-ES vouchers when paying online?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I would like to pay my quarterly estimated business taxes through the IRS website (https://www.irs.gov/payments). I am a sole proprietor married filing jointly.  

Is it best to make these payments through EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System) for businesses or through direct pay?

If you are just paying personal quarterly estimates you can use either system  however if you are paying payroll taxes you must use the EFTPS system.

Is it best to use my SSN or EIN?  Again depends on what you are paying ... if you are paying quarterly estimates you use the SS# but payroll uses the EIN.

Must I also submit 1040-ES vouchers when paying online?  NO

View solution in original post

4 Replies

use SSN. 

The difference between EFTPS and the IRS’s other electronic payment tool, Direct Pay, is quite simple. Both individuals and business owners may pay federal taxes using EFTPS, whereas Direct Pay is only available to individuals. In addition, there is no limit to the amount of money that can be sent via EFTPS, unlike Direct Pay, which caps at $10 million.

with either method, no forms are submitted. all the necessary info is included when you submit payment

you may find registering for EFTPS is a little more complicated. once you submit the application and the IRS processes it you receive in the mail a verification code to needed to complete registration. can't say but if your making a 9/15 estimate, and you apply today you may not receive the verification code in time. 

you can sign uo for both.

Is it best to make these payments through EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System) for businesses or through direct pay?

If you are just paying personal quarterly estimates you can use either system  however if you are paying payroll taxes you must use the EFTPS system.

Is it best to use my SSN or EIN?  Again depends on what you are paying ... if you are paying quarterly estimates you use the SS# but payroll uses the EIN.

Must I also submit 1040-ES vouchers when paying online?  NO

So I'm clear, if I'm a small business owner (sole proprietorship) with no employees, I do not have to use the EFTPS? I am only paying self-employment taxes for me, so if I understand this correctly, I can pay my estimated taxes through direct pay.

Correct. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies