Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Letter 5071C and filing a return

We received a Letter 5071C from the IRS informing us that someone filed a tax return using my daughter’s name and SSN. We followed their instructions to verify my daughter’s  identity using ID.me. This involves a video interview and showing proof of identity. As far as I know l, that’s all

we needed to do. However, since then, I have tried to file my 2021 tax return but it keeps getting rejected because my daughter is listed as a dependent and the IRS is still flagging her SSN as belonging to a an individual tax return that has already been filed. Any suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Even though you resolved the identity situation, the IRS does not update its e-file database. You will have to file your 2021 tax return by mail. If your daughter is filing a tax return, she will also have to file by mail.

@elmofongo -and to add a 'bummer' to the situation... the IRS is woefully backlogged on  paper filed returns.... assume that it will take 6-9 months until the return gets processed.....

Hi rjs 

Do you think the IRS will ever update their e-file database?

thanks

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, for 2022 returns. You should be able to e-file your 2022 tax return claiming your daughter as a dependent (if you are still claiming her).

How old is your daughter?  Could she have filed her own return and claimed herself?  Why did you get the IRS letter if you hadn't filed yet?   Was that from your 2020 return?

My daughter is 18 and has never filed before. We got the letter because the IRS suspects the return was a fraudulent one.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies