turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

angieeemr

IRS Claims my former employer didn't report my wages but I have my W2 and I spoke with my previous employer who says she sent everything in. I never had an issue before.

If you filed your taxes correctly and did not lie I would say DO NOT WORRY. I received a 90 day letter from the IRS because one of my employers supposedly did not report my wages. I called my employer they resent my info to the IRS. Literally 18 days after receiving my 90 day letter, my status online was updated with an expected refund date. 

IRS Claims my former employer didn't report my wages but I have my W2 and I spoke with my previous employer who says she sent everything in. I never had an issue before.

One year later I'm in the exact same situation.. how long did it take to get worked out? And did you ever find out what the problem was?

Just for clarification; if you filed your return in a timely manner (i.e. by the due date) and were due a refund, once the issue is resolved they do pay the refund with interest.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

As suggested above by Critter, you should contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Office:

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

If you are unsuccessful with the Taxpayer Advocate for your area, you can also try the special IRS phone number for the Taxpayer Advocate Service at 877-777-4778.

More info on the Taxpayer Advocate Service:
http://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/about/who-we-are

http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Taxpayer-Advocate-Service-6

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works:
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am also in the same boat. The irs sent me a letter saying my refund is being reviewed( I filed Jan 28th)  but didn't give a specific reason. I got laid off two weeks ago, as I was filing for unemployment I noticed the employer hasn't sent in any wages since ive worked for the company.I am struggling to pay my morgage/bills, raise my kids and live like most Americans.I was counting on my refund and have never had an issue since I started working 14 years ago. I also filed with turbo tax. I would like to know what to do and where to start?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The first thing you should do is contact the employer and ask them if they submitted the W-2 to the Social Security Administration. 

Then, make an appointment with your local IRS office and bring a copy of your W-2 and tax return and tell them what happened and what steps they or you can take to correct the situation.

I also use turbo tax and i am dealing with the same exact thing.! This is crazy! I know my employers reported my wages. The guys i work with had already gotten their tax return and we have been working together for the last 2 years. The IRS is saying that two of my employer's did not report my earnings. But when I talk to them they said that they sent it in. I have three kids and I'm about to lose my home over this. To top it off everything with this coronavirus going on.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Have you checked your W-2 from your employer to verify that your social security number on your W-2 is your social security number?  If not that is why the IRS does not a have a record of your income.  If this is the case your employer will have to issue a corrected W-2. You may want to consider filing IRS Form 4852 - W-2 Substitute Form unfortunately the IRS does not allow e-filing of Form 4852, a paper return must be mailed to the IRS.

I have verified my social on my w2 is correct. I just recieved my state refund, but still no word on my federal refund. It still says my return is still being processed and a date will be given when a available. I faxed a letter head from my company w/ all my info on it, my last check stub from 2019, and my w2 from 2019, along with verification of hardship to the taxpayer advocates 2 weeks ago. 

Have you resolved this issue i am in the same boat with you. And i verified with employer and saw the documents that were sent with my own eyes. Irs says ssa office hasnt sent. My employers copy of w2 type a to irs so irs doesnt have my wages for the year however i have my w2 form on hand. And filed 2 7 2020. And still uavent had a responce.  

BillM223
Expert Alumni

If you are stuck and not getting any satisfaction from the IRS, I will repeat the answer from Critter from above (because we at TurboTax have no influence over this situation - it's between the IRS and your employer):

If it's been more than 90 days since the return was accepted  then you can ask for help from the Tax Payer Advocate office:

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

If you are unsuccessful with the Taxpayer Advocate for your area, you can also try the special IRS phone number for the Taxpayer Advocate Service at 877-777-4778.

More info on the Taxpayer Advocate Service:
http://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/about/who-we-are

http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Taxpayer-Advocate-Service-6

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works:
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

LaxmomLI

well compounding this hot mess of a tax return situation we also are in unfamiliar waters with Covid-19 and the fact that all IRS in person offices are closed....so we cant even go talk to someone about what happened. I am pretty sure that by the time I get this tax return I can use it for my 15 year old sons first college tuition payment. Good Luck to all of you going through this...Keep us all posted on an updates.

I am dealing with this problem. Only thing is that I am not so sure my previous employer actually sent out my documents as they said they did.. I remember when I worked for them errors happening with the IRS etc.. Now my garnished wages are somehow lost... IDK.. IRS is also a douche.. they took forever to tell me the reason why my return was being placed on hold.. Why couldn't they just tell me the truth from the get go?? they took forever that they had 60 days.. I submitted my return in Jan, Feb ended which was not normal for me and then March - COVID-19 happened! more delay! I kept calling once a month cause they **bleep** at you that you don't need to do anything and just wait until they ask you to do something SMH.. so now I am about to experience a hardship and now JULY they tell me well did you have two employers cause we only see one... I'm like yeah I did have two!.. like MF** you take this long to actually tell me what was wrong in the first place!,.. and I'm assuming they still have not contacted my previous employer either SMH and my previous employer just states that they submitted along with everyone elses... sigh

Carl
Level 15

I have a w2 why isn’t that enough ?

A third grader can forge a W-2. Heck, the IRS even provides the blank form for doing exactly that on their own website!

The employer is required to send in IRS Form 940 to the IRS every year. (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f940.pdf)

This form includes all quarterly tax submissions for the tax year, along with the total of all wages paid to all employees. If mailed, it also includes a copy of all W-2's. It very well could be that the employer did not include your W-2 in the envelope, or the IRS employee who opened the envelope didn't see it fall out into the trashcan next to their desk. Therefore, the numbers on the 940 do not agree with the total of all the W-2's received.

Until this gets straightened out between your employer and the IRS, there is absolutely nothing you can do but wait. Calling the IRS will not make things go faster. Bugging your employer will not make things go faster. About the only benefit you will see out of it, is that if you have a refund due, the IRS has to pay you interest on that refund amount not yet paid to you, if they don't pay you by July 15th, or 45 days after they receive your return - whichever is later. See https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/interest-for-individuals and pay attention to the information in the right side column.

sahurej

I filed my taxes electronically through turbo tax, and I am having the same issue. And my employer also claims My wages where reported. And i am the only one employee having issues. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies