turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

irrevocable trust asset received and then willed to children

I received stocks from an irrevocable trust.  If I sell the stocks now I have been advised that they would not have a stepped up stock basis.  If I never sell the  stocks received from the trust, then will the stocks that are now in my revocable trust to my children, when I pass and my children inherit the stocks, will they be taxed on a stepped up basis?  The stock was transferred from the trust to my brokerage account.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@Mountain_Business1 wrote:

If I never sell the  stocks received from the trust, then will the stocks that are now in my revocable trust to my children, when I pass and my children inherit the stocks, will they be taxed on a stepped up basis?  

Yes, if the stocks were distributed to you in-kind from the trust (i.e., you received the shares), then the shares will receive a stepped-up basis (per Section 1014) provided they are included in your estate when you pass.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

@Mountain_Business1 wrote:

If I never sell the  stocks received from the trust, then will the stocks that are now in my revocable trust to my children, when I pass and my children inherit the stocks, will they be taxed on a stepped up basis?  

Yes, if the stocks were distributed to you in-kind from the trust (i.e., you received the shares), then the shares will receive a stepped-up basis (per Section 1014) provided they are included in your estate when you pass.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies