turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Invalid character in Schedule C Other Expenses Text- 1-5 is invalid for Electronic Filing. Please remove all preceding spaces or invalid characters.

I'm receiving the following error in a blank field - 

Schedule C (full time Real Estate) Other Expenses Text- 1-5 is invalid for Electronic Filing. Please remove all preceding spaces or invalid characters.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
PhyllisG

Invalid character in Schedule C Other Expenses Text- 1-5 is invalid for Electronic Filing. Please remove all preceding spaces or invalid characters.

You can make corrections to your return in Forms mode.  Do this:

• Click Forms located in the upper right corner of your screen
  • Any errors to your return will appear with a red exclamation point. You will click on the red Errors stop sign shown above the Forms in My Return heading. 
  • Review the data entered. Any entry shown in yellow can be changed in the Forms mode.  All other color changes requiring a calculation will have to be completed in the interview section of the return. 
  • Click Step by Step located in the upper right corner of your screen to return to the interview section and make the necessary correction(s) to your return.

dpopken

It does not work.  My screen shows a totally blank line, but TT keeps telling me there is an invalid carachter.

dpopken

Sorry, I meant character.  I highlight the line and hit the space bar and delete button trying to clear whatever TT is seeing.  This happens every year and then it will not allow me to e-file.

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

What screen? What line? 

Does it always stop you from E-filing? Do you always mail in your federal return? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same problem.  Does no one know how to fix it?   Editing in Forms mode does not work I just get a beep on that line.  The line is highlighted in yellow.  I can edit elsewhere on that form but not on that line.   And it won't let me efile, and NYS requires efile!

MacTaxV

Same here.  I'm completely finished and ready to file but that one line won't let me change anything.  It's even a blank line highlighted in yellow.

Charlie-Lunan
Returning Member

Does not work nor can I fix any of the supposed errors in Schedule C. Very frustrating. Spent an hour on this. First time I've been disappointed with TurboTax in 6+ years of using it. 

Cynthiad66
Employee Tax Expert

Just a FYI, TurboTax has to work with the IRS when programming software for new deductions.  TurboTax cannot correct this problem until the IRS has finalized the forms.  IRS has been busy with the Stimulus program and is now gearing up in the tax refund and processing area.  We do not have a date and are waiting also.  Once the forms have been finalized, TurboTax will upgrade your software, after all, the systems must be able to communicate to translate the tax information received.

We apologize for any inconvenience but this year is one for the books!!  Thank you for your patience.

It's 2024 and the problem is still happening.  I'm working on my 2022 taxes late.  (Lot's of crisis.) But here I am, with this same issue.   I deleted rows and rows of misc itemized entries  from 2021, and the spaces where those entries were remained.  And the yellow bar is at the bottom row of all those empty spaces.  I can find now way to delete the empty lines or move the yellow up to just below the last entry for 2022. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Click on Forms at the top and go to your Schedule C Wks worksheet.   The entries should be cleared out on the worksheet.   This thread is a couple of years old, so I am not sure what you are having a problem removing.   If you can't fix it by deleting lines on the worksheet, reply here and let us know what the problem is.    @Seamstress59 

This discussion references removing items from the worksheet.

I have always filed e-file. Schedule C worksheet has a red \ that cannot be erased. It beeps when I try to erase it.

And it is not allowing me to e-file which I have been doing for years.  Desktop version...Mac

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Are you still experiencing this problem? You might need to call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies