turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Interest Income - without 1099 forms

I know this topic has been asked before, but I believe I have some additional things.

I live in Germany and own different accounts or financial assets earning (not much, but a bit) interest. I have filed my FBARs so far and I believe I comply with everything.

However there are two big things I need help on.

1. I have accounts with different banks generating little interest.  I do not receive any forms to file with the IRS, but only statements that are used in Germany. 
    As I understand, I must file these interest values in the "Interest and Dividends" section and then "Interest on 1099-INT" (Most interest income is reported on Form 1099-INTHowever, you may find interest income on a consolidated broker's or financial institution statement. You may not receive a Form 1099-INT if your interest income was less than $10.)
  2. Additionally I have little investments in some Peer to Peer lending platforms (in Germany/Europe). Now I understand this not to be considered Passive Income, but interest/portfolio income. (https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/how-do-i-enter-interest-income-from-peer-to-peer-...)
    Does this mean I also just add these under the Interest Income section as above?

Thank you all very much for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you will enter both of these items as interest.  To do this in the program select the option I will type it in myself. Next, simply enter the name of the bank or peer to peer program in the box marked Payer name and the amount of interest in Box 1 - interest income. 

Additionally, in the interview section of the program be sure to answer yes to the question (or check the box, whichever is applicable) to indicate that you were an owner of a foreign bank or other financial account.  This will ensure that the correct boxes are marked on your Schedule B.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you will enter both of these items as interest.  To do this in the program select the option I will type it in myself. Next, simply enter the name of the bank or peer to peer program in the box marked Payer name and the amount of interest in Box 1 - interest income. 

Additionally, in the interview section of the program be sure to answer yes to the question (or check the box, whichever is applicable) to indicate that you were an owner of a foreign bank or other financial account.  This will ensure that the correct boxes are marked on your Schedule B.

Thank you so much for your answer @SusanY1 

I have a further question for the Peer to Peer lending platform.

I have also received certain campaign rewards/ cashbacks investing in certain things at the right time. Are these also considered as interest?

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

Bitte.  You're welcome.

Yes, count those rewards and cashback incentives as interest as well.   

What happened to the ability to download my brokerage form information into TURBOTAX.  I will not be entering interest by hand for all of my accounts.  would rather purchase another tax program.

Does your broker have the import file ready yet?  They are not all available yet.  I think my friends Wells Fargo said Feb 22.

are you using online or the Desktop program?  What version?

homey07
Returning Member

I have a similar situation:

- I received interest into a foreign p2p lending account, which I intend to add into the Interest section

- I have costs with the account, but I'm not sure where to put them (deductions?).

If I do put them into deductions, the program asks me to reference the form/line, but I'm taking the standard deductible (instead of itemized) and Schedule A seems missing. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, in order to claim investment expenses, you will need to itemize your deductions.  This means you will need other itemize expenses to offset the standard deduction amount that is already determined to be your best deduction choice.

The Schedule A automatically generates if you have enough expenses to itemize.

@homey07 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies