Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Remove these wages (Work in NY live in NJ)

If all income from both states show at the summary page of the NY return, do I then go back and enter that only some income was made in NY? If I do that, it then only shows what was originally entered on the W2 that stated NY income. It then asks me to allocate how much was made in NY. When I say 100%, if then asks how I came up with that allocation. What do I put?

if I go that route, it gives Me a penalty and says I owe thousands on the summary page. WTF? Why is NY taxing me on everything I made in both states?

RobertG
Expert Alumni

If you live in NJ and work in NY you will be filing a non resident NY and a resident NJ return.

Do the NY first. You will get a credit for taxes paid to NY on the NJ return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That’s what I’m trying to do but ny is taking all of the salary made for the year and taxing me. There are 3 W2’s. One is my wives works in Nj) and the other 2 are for the company I work for. One was the income I made in Nj for them and the other is the income made in NY. They already split it. When I put that only some income was made in ny, it shows the w2 that has ny income. Then asks how I came up with the allocation. I say employer put on separate w2. Then at the summary, it shows that it’s taking all of my income for my wife and myself for both states and taxing me on it. Why? I thought I should only get taxed on ny income. How do I even fix this?ive never had an issue with this before. I’ve once worked in ny for a few weeks and didn’t have the problems with turbo tax then like I am now. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It may appear that NYS is taxing you on all your income but in reality, it isn't.

The way that the NY state tax return works is that NY looks at all of your income from all sources and generates a NY state tax on all this income. However, when NY is determining the actual NY state taxes owed, NY multiples the total NY taxes on all income by the percentage of NY source income over all source income. If you look at the actual tax form, you can see what I mean,

maglib
Level 11

@Midge121  in NY interview you will answer all was from NY and you will not have to do any allocations.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

"you always remove the state you don't reside in wages"    If I live in NY but work in NJ, should I still remove the NJ wages then when filing for NJ state return?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

No. In the New Jersey section, remove your New York wages if you have two W-2 amounts. NJ will tax you on the NJ income listed on your W-2 Box 16. NJ wages are often higher than NY wages because NJ taxes some items that are excluded from NY tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies