turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In box 15. i'm unable to input the state in which my employer is located. (WA) is there a tech support that can allow me to input the correct state in which I work

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

In box 15. i'm unable to input the state in which my employer is located. (WA) is there a tech support that can allow me to input the correct state in which I work

Washington does not have a state income tax.  So leave boxes 15-17 Blank.

If your employer is in Washington state and you did not have any state taxes withheld from your wages in box 17 of the W-2 then you leave boxes 15, 16 and 17 blank.

Washington state does not have a personal income tax.

Turbo tax please correct the program for Washington state box 15. My employer put WA in the first part. I tried several options but what I ended up having to do was to put in WA in box 15 and WA in for the Employer state ID number as well. It would not let me move on unless I did. I tried the app and the web version still the same. Please fix this bug. 

Thanks 

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

If you are receiving an error for box 15 on your Form W-2, and there are no entries in 17, you may leave the entire box 15 and 16 blanks, as well. 

If you have entries in box 17, try using the federal ID in box 15, or if the state requires a particular format, such as ending in XYZ, then enter 9999999XYZ for the number of digits it specifies.

Your state department of revenue will be able to easily identify your employer from the 9-digit federal EIN. Hence, the state ID number is redundant anyway but is it still a way that your state tracks employers in their internal state computer system.  The state employer ID number is a bureaucratic convenience for your state's department of revenue; it is not an essential element to the correct filing and processing of a valid personal income tax return (either state or federal)

If the error persists, try deleting the form and reentering it.  If you have "copied and pasted" to enter some of the information, it might have spaces or other invisible formatting characters causing the errors.  Please be sure there are no extra spaces before or after the entries.  If you have imported into Turbo Tax, perhaps some of the data was damaged in the transfer and is not working correctly, even if it looks correct on the page.  Deleting the W-2 and manually entering it should solve the problem.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ekulnamder   Washington does not have a state income tax.  Leave all boxes 15, 16, & 17 BLANK.  

I again am not able to exile as Washington state doesn’t have an employer I’d in box15. I have left boxes 15 thru 17 blank as suggested and still get the same error

ee-ea
Level 15

@Yvonneandlarry 

Nine states — AK, FL, NV, SD, TN, TX, and WY — levy no state income tax. NH has a tax on dividends and interest . WA started taxing Capital Gains in 2023. Leave boxes 15 thru 20 blank (empty) on the TurboTax W-2.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies