turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In 2019 I sold one of my two blogs through Flippa. I'm really confused on if it's considered miscellaneous income or capital gains.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

In 2019 I sold one of my two blogs through Flippa. I'm really confused on if it's considered miscellaneous income or capital gains.

If you created the blog, it would be ordinary/miscellaneous income, subject to Social Security (Self-Employment) taxes - reported on Schedule C as Self-Employment. Any 2019 costs paid for creating (eg, paying someone to do graphics, or software purchased only for that blog) can be deducted from gross income as 'ordinary and necessary' expenses. 

awas
Returning Member

@Rainman12 What if I purchase a blog (domain+content), that is making monthly revenue, would that be considered an intangible property and would need to amortize over 15 years? This website blog is not part of a bigger business, it is a standalone money making site.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

The sale of intellectual property is now consider ordinary income.  It is no longer treated as a capital asset.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies