turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mystik

Importing from QuickBooks Self-Employed

For the first time last year, I started using QuickBooks Self-Employed.  I understood that I should be able to import everything from there into TurboTax.  I went through everything to do so, and it said it was done, but I can't see anything new in there.  I had entered my income already, if that has any bearing.  Also, I don't know if it matters, but in past years, I had used TurboTax Self-Employed, I think it is called.  This year, it has me signed in as "IRS Free File Program", which is great, but I think this is the part that's messing me up.  I think it's sending the data to Self-Employed, and I can't figure out how to switch over, even if I wanted to.  I was going to try just copying and pasting everything over one-by-one if nothing else.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

You will not be able to import into the IRS Free File and complete your self-employed taxes. You must use a version of the software that has these capabilities.

See instructions in the link below:

Import from QuickBooks to TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Check out this one.  User OpFor at the end seems like he found a way to upgrade from Free File website and keep his info

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-don-t-qualify-for-free-file-this-year-as-it-...

mystik

Thanks much for the replies.  How do I switch over to Self-Employed?  When I try to go there, it just logs me back in where I was.

OK  ... LOG OUT ... clear cookies then follow these instructions carefully ...

1.  Go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/
2.  Click "help me choose"
3.  Select the Self Employed version 

4.  Click "start for free" of whatever product you want to use when it gives you the suggestions

After that, it  will ask how you  did your taxes last year.   Select Turbo Tax, ONLY then will you  sign in.  Once you  sign in, it will ask if you are sure you want to change to a commercial product and not use the free file program.  Select yes and click  ok ... this will take you and your progress  into the paid program system and out of the free file system.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

From OpFor ----------

I found this message thread because I was searching for an answer on how to do this.  I finally found it and wanted to post it in case others find it too.

1.  Go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/
2.  Click "help me choose"
3.  Select the options that apply to your situation

4.  Click "start for free" of whatever product you want to use when it gives you the suggestions

After that, it asked how I did my taxes last year.  I selected Turbo Tax, then it had me sign in.  Once I was signed in, it asked if I was sure I wanted to change to a commercial product and not use the free file program.  I selected yes, clicked ok, and I was back into the normal system and out of the free file system.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies