Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

import previous tax return after start

Can previous year return be imported after I started filling in the questions in Turbotax for 2019?

And can corporate return also be imported I assume?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DeanM15
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

For both individual and corporate Turbotax Desktop programs, you will need to import last year's data BEFORE you start your return.

The process of importing starts before you enter any data. Sorry, there is no other way. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

32 Replies
DeanM15
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

For both individual and corporate Turbotax Desktop programs, you will need to import last year's data BEFORE you start your return.

The process of importing starts before you enter any data. Sorry, there is no other way. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

bummer :(

Thank you!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to import my personal return.  It did not allow me to import my corporate return.

@Anonymous wrote:

I was able to import my personal return.  It did not allow me to import my corporate return.

A prior year tax data file or PDF for a personal tax return can only be transferred to the current year personal editions of TurboTax.

A prior year tax data file from the TurboTax Business edition can only be transferred to the current tax year Business Edition.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a PDF from my CPA.  In doing more research it says I cannot import it, only in Turbotax Business.   I bought Turbotax home AND business.  Why does this not import then? 

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a PDF from my CPA.  In doing more research it says I cannot import it, only in Turbotax Business.   I bought Turbotax home AND business.  Why does this not import then? 

TurboTax Home & Business is a personal tax program.  The Business portion of Home & Business is for a Schedule C used by self-employed independent contractors or sole proprietors which is included with and part of a personal tax return, Form 1040.

The TurboTax Business Edition is used from filing tax returns for Partnerships, C Corp, S Corp and Multi-member LLC's.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Aha!  Thank you so much!  Need to also buy the Business version.  And to the 2 soft wares work together once business is filed?

Wish it would have been explained better.  

Thanks for your help!!

I have found my 2018 TurboTax return file, and I select this file (XXXX.tax2018) to import the information into TurboTax 2019...and I get squat for information?

TT001.jpg

What is up with this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can try downloading the .tax file again and import the fresh tax file into your desktop software. Also be sure your software has all recent updates installed.  Click on "Check for Updates" and update your software if needed. If that doesn't work you can manually update your software.

sundeelue

YUK YUK YUK!!  Please find a way to do this next year (or maybe up date the program this year?) or put in a BIG STOP sign at the beginning or a check of some kind so you can verify you have done so.  I though I had imported my previous info and evidently didn't!!  Now I have to reenter it all...  

YUK YUK YUK!!

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If you are using the online version and log in to the same account you used for the prior year, the import of prior year is automatic.  If you are using the desktop software, it prompts you to import prior year information.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  I am using desktop version of TurboTax Business as well as TurboTax Home & Business.

This is my 1st time doing my own taxes without outsourcing to a CPA entirely.  

This is the pits.  as noted in previous comments, this is not acceptable.  a warning should be up and acknowledged prior to data entry for new year. I have used TT in many versions since it was first introduced (think large floppies) and do not recall any problems before.  the problem did not surface until I was done entering many hours of data.  not a happy user. 

[email address removed]

CarpeZiem

I did 2017 Turbotax on a desktop from a Turbotax CD. We got the taxes filed. I think it was premiere but it could have been home and business.

Then that computer broke.

My wife did 2018 taxes using turbotax online, (downloading Premier)  but did not import any of the data from the 2017 taxes.

We got the computer fixed. 

I am wondering if I can go back and amend my 2018 taxes and import the 2017 data from the now repaired computer...Is this possible?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies