turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

razalas-c

Im separated, I have no knowledge of spuoses gambling, lotteries or interests, yet yet turbo tax posts the question with a " we" .

Wages and income section:
 "Did you or Ex-Spouse win any gambling money, prizes, or lotteries?...  make any money from interest"
Answers available:
"Yes WE did"
"No WE didn't"
I have no idea if Ex-spouse did or did not... since I'm filing married but filing separate there should be an option to allow me to select" No I did not" as an option.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Im separated, I have no knowledge of spuoses gambling, lotteries or interests, yet yet turbo tax posts the question with a " we" .

The best answer here is "No we didn't".  This is your tax return and you do not want the program asking you questions about income you did not receive.

You know YOU didn't "win any gambling money, prizes, or lotteries", and you don't know for certain if your spouse did, so "No"  is the only way to answer.

If married filing separately, I can't think of a reason for the program to ask this question at all.  For that reason, I suspect that you are using the same online account you used in the past for a joint return, and changed to MFS, but the program still contains tax file data and worksheets in the name of your ex.  It can be difficult to change filing status with TT online because most of the important worksheets are hidden and not directly editable.  You may want to quit, make a new account, and start over fresh, so there is no leftover information about your spouse.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies