turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ken1

I started a church that meets in my house every week for service. I currently pastor the church. I don't take a salary (I work full-time). Are there any tax breaks?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I started a church that meets in my house every week for service. I currently pastor the church. I don't take a salary (I work full-time). Are there any tax breaks?

If you paid out of pocket costs that went to the benefit of the church, like providing food or buying bibles, that could be deducted as a charity donation.  You can not take a deduction for the time you put in.  

The issue of taking a donation for your house is iffy.  You can not take a deduction for partial use of property, but you can deduct out of pocket costs.  Some people might make an argument that you can deduct a percentage of utilities and mortgage as out of pocket costs, but I would not do that because of the no partial use deduction rule.

Also,you need to be concerned about self-dealing.  If you are the person in charge, and you are signing receipts to yourself as proof of your out of pocket donations, the IRS is likely to view that as self-dealing.  It would be better if there was a group of elders or something who could attest to the items you claim an out of pocket expense deduction for.

a308

When churches take money and give it to others is that ok?  For example if church member A give $100 dollars to the church he can write that off. The church then gives that money to member B who is in need of financial help.  Now the bad part is that A knows B. 

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Contributions that are earmarked for a specific individual, even if you gave the money to a church, are not deductible. See IRS Publication 526, page 6, under Contributions You Can't Deduct.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just calling  it a church is not enough to make anything deductible.  The church must be a registered 501(c)(3)

a308

This is not true according to the IRS. As by definition a church is tax exempt regardless of whether or not they filed  for 501(c)(3) status

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies