turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ty

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Ty

@scocpm wrote:

Am I responsible to pay off this credit card? Can I be held liable? 

I am very sorry for your loss but, as executor, you are responsible for marshalling her assets, settling her debts, and distributing property in accordance with her will (or court order).

If she owned property (assets), then you need to exercise caution and settle her debts from any cash in any accounts or proceeds from the sale of property. 

You might want to read through Publication 559 for your own edification.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p559#en_US_2021_publink100099488

It also might be wise to consult with local legal counsel.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Ty

@scocpm wrote:

Am I responsible to pay off this credit card? Can I be held liable? 

I am very sorry for your loss but, as executor, you are responsible for marshalling her assets, settling her debts, and distributing property in accordance with her will (or court order).

If she owned property (assets), then you need to exercise caution and settle her debts from any cash in any accounts or proceeds from the sale of property. 

You might want to read through Publication 559 for your own edification.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p559#en_US_2021_publink100099488

It also might be wise to consult with local legal counsel.

Ty

You should be filing an Estate Tax Return, Form 1041.  The estate pays any debts of the decedent. 

Ty

@scocpm - Yes, as the executor, you are responsible for paying off the debts of the estate. That is the role of the executor - making sure all the debts are paid to creditors and what assets remain are distributed to the beneficiaries in accordance with the will.

The estate is liable for that credit card debt.  If as the executor, you distribute the assets of the estate to you, as the beneficiary, without paying off the debts of the estate, you do have liability as you would not have carried out the responsibilities of the executor under the law.

I bet if you read the will closely, it will state that it expects you as the executor to pay all creditors.

why would you not want to pay that credit card debt?   

Ty

this is a legal, not a tax question but as @tagteam stated it's your responsibility as executor. 

Ty

how did your mom pay the property tax and utilities on this home, not to mention normal cost of living.

There must be some money and you have to pay off all debts.

Ty

We helped out paying her bills she was on a fixed income and social security was so small and when prices took off we had to contribute even more. Thank you for your feedback

Ty

If you inform the credit card company the holder is deceased, they will probably write it off.

So I'd try that first.

@scocpm 

Ty

Thank you I will do that

Ty

@scocpm   but on the otherhand "doing the right thing" would be to pay the debt.  That is the moral and legal obligation.  Think about it. 

@fanfare

Ty

This is an income tax forum, so you might wish to seek local Probate/legal advice instead.

Ty

@fanfare wrote:

If you inform the credit card company the holder is deceased, they will probably write it off.

Depending upon the amount, they are probably more likely to file a claim against the estate and, first, will inquire as to whether the decedent left any assets.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies