turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

daddy2748

How do I change from self employed

I had a 1099 in previous years now I don't says I'm filling with turbotax self employed but I'm not self employed is this a problem
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If you are no longer self-employed, you can use a lower-priced version of TurboTax.

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288495

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

10 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If you are no longer self-employed, you can use a lower-priced version of TurboTax.

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288495

jesus12_7

you guys bury the **bleep**ing answer in a link that takes us to a litany of a bunch of other non related questions with the same garbage replies. you suck.

jesus12_7

give me the steps here mother **bleep**er. dont send me to a link and make me do your job eat **bleep**. answer the question dont deflect to try and keep consumers money. **bleep** off.

@jesus12_7 wrote:

you guys bury the **bleep**ing answer in a link that takes us to a litany of a bunch of other non related questions with the same garbage replies. you suck.

You have posted to a thread that is several years old.

Start a new question here - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/02/202

The link takes me to a place that does not answer the question. Help please. 

RobertB4444
Employee Tax Expert

@Kltann3968  I'm going to assume that you have a 1099 from previous years that is making TurboTax think that you're self-employed when you're not.  Since that is the question that was asked 3 years ago and you haven't asked a question.

Since it has carried over from 2020, go to the section of Wages & Income for self-employment income and click the little garbage can to the right of the form you entered last year.  If that doesn't work you can delete the form directly-

To Delete a form:

1. Select Tax Tools from the menu on the left

2. Then select Tools

3. When the new menu pops up select Delete a Form

4. You will see a list of all the forms in your return

5. Find the form that you want to delete

6. Select the Form

7. Click Delete on the right  

Tax forms are interconnected.  While you are on this screen don’t start deleting forms you don’t recognize.

Genska

My wife and I are retired and no longer have self-employment income. I followed the instructions in the post and deleted the one 1099 that looked like it could be causing TurboTax to peg us as self-employed at checkout -- a 1099-NEC from last year's (2020) taxes. But we are still getting the self-employed TurboTax rate. We have no W-2s and the only 1099's are 1099-Rs, as well as a Social Security SSA-1099. How can we change from the self-employed TurboTax product? 

Genska

We want to change from the "self-employed" to the "deluxe" TurboTax products.

@Genska wrote:

We want to change from the "self-employed" to the "deluxe" TurboTax products.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over with a lower priced edition. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2021 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

I agree.  I spent an hour trying to find the same answer. Just a sneaky way to make more money.  Inexcusable! The experts on on-line software programs can't put a simple link to a common question.  Makes you wander on the ethics of this company.  How wonder how many people actually threw in the towel and just paid the extra bucks

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies