turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xoltorres

Tax Year Prior to 2020: If myself and kids all have ss# and my wife itin# and i filed jointly are we still entitled to a stimulus check coming this month?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: If myself and kids all have ss# and my wife itin# and i filed jointly are we still entitled to a stimulus check coming this month?

If you are filing a joint return and your spouse only has an ITIN, you will not get a stimulus payment. Your children will not get the stimulus payment either.

Please read this IRS document  for more information.

Edited 04/10/20202  |  3:46 PM PST

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
-Link-

That is incorrect information. Families who have a mix of ITIN and SSN will not qualify for the Stimulus Package. It doesnt matter if its your kids or the spouse, none will receive the package. Please do not give hopes in providing false information.

NikkiLC
Returning Member

It doesn’t say anything on the IRS website that people who file jointly with someone who has a ITIN wont or will get it 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

According to the National Immigration Law Center— which dissected the 800-page bill— only immigrants with valid Social Security numbers and people who qualify as “resident aliens” will receive the checks.

The children if under 17 should get $500 each

NikkiLC
Returning Member

We know immigrants can’t, but what about people who filed jointly with a person with a ITIN? Me and my children have SSN and my husband uses a ITIN 

Rovin

I have the same issue, my wife and her kids have a tax I'd I filed jointly, will I not qualify? Even for myself since I have a social?

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

So long as you filed taxes for 2018 or 2019 and your return was accepted, you will be eligible for a stimulus check.

The first answer given was wrong.  If EITHER of the spouses or any of their children have an ITIN, no one will receive the stimulus payment, with a sole exception for one of the spouses being in military service.

Rovin

Really then why I am seeing and hearing that if anyone in your family has a tax I'd and u file you are not eligible for the stimulus check? 

Rovin

So what exactly is accurately? I am the only one with a social security number?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Please see these sites for updates:  

Impact Payment Calculator

What You Need to Know for IRS Stimulus Payments

Coronavirus Tax Relief | Internal Revenue Service

All the answers saying you are not eligible if anyone on the return has an ITIN are all correct.

xoltorres

I guess the best thing to do is wait because half of you that responded say i will and the other half say i won't.  I dont know what to believe so I'll just have to wait and see. When president Bush sent out a similar stimulus package for people affected they completely stated that anyone with an itin would not receive payment even with family members that are citizens with the exception that the citizens was in the military. Today in this cares act they stated that all citizens that files taxes for 2018 or 2019 will receive payment included children under the age of 16. That being said i guess this is a 50/50 chance. if i get  it great cause i need it in these difficult times. If i don't now that BS. I been filing taxes since 1996 without missing a beat.  I guess ill know  if i qualify here pretty soon. Such bull!!

xoltorres

I know rite? Where are the people getting there info? I looked and read all of the irs pages and theres nothing on there stating that. What the hell. The agony of not knowing is just ridiculous. I need help too and im an american with 3 kids also american but my wife is not. She does not work but i file taxes together with her itin#. I just dont understand how we as a family have to suffer because of one itin# on our taxes. Shouldn't my kids and myself be entitled to receive a payment? Wow i guess i just have to wait and see if i gett anything. I'll keep you guys posted. And if anybody here got a check or knows anybody that is got a check with a similar situation as mine please let us know. Thanks in advance.  Keep safe out there.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies