Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i'm not getting a refund, and I don't owe, do I need to file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Lakeisha

Yes, you still need to file a Return even if your not getting a Refund or owe any Taxes

The IRS has restrictive guidelines for determining who needs to file, which means even if you don't owe, you may still have to submit a tax return.

It's very common to feel like you shouldn't need to file a return if you don't owe any tax. However, owing tax and having a filing requirement are two separate situations in the IRS' eyes. The IRS has restrictive guidelines for determining who needs to file, which means even if you don't owe, you may still have to submit a return. These restrictions are based on the amount and type of income you receive, the standard deduction amount for your filing status, and if not claimed as a dependent – the exemption amount for the year.

Does it matter if I am 70 years old and on Social Security and my husband is on Disability Social Security

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

If your only income is Social Security and Disability Social Security, you are not required to file a tax return. 

Your Social Security and Disability Social Security are not taxable income.

@Janes-Aaron

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
scott0403

I am retired and married filing separately as I have not lived with my spouse in 2022.  My only income is Social Security monthly payments.  Do I need to file tax returns

@scott0403 wrote:

I am retired and married filing separately as I have not lived with my spouse in 2022.  My only income is Social Security monthly payments.  Do I need to file tax returns

If the Social Security benefits are your only income you do not need to file a 2022 tax return, assuming that your spouse will not be filing as Married Filing Jointly.

If the Social Security benefits  is your ( and your spouse’s if married) only income then  there is no need for you to file a  tax return UNLESS one or more of these apply :

• You had federal/state taxes withheld that can be refunded
  • You received advance premium tax credit for health insurance from the ACA Marketplace (aka "Obamacare") 
  • You took money out of Health Savings Account (HSA) or Medical Savings Account (MSA).
  • You are married filing a separate return from your spouse and you lived together during the tax year OR   you are filing a joint return and the spouse has income other than SS benefits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies