turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i have never e-filed before, do i just make up a 5 digit pin? it says to use the pin from last year, but this is my first year e-filing, so i don't think i have one?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If i have never e-filed before, do i just make up a 5 digit pin? it says to use the pin from last year, but this is my first year e-filing, so i don't think i have one?

Did you file a return at all in 2018?  If you did file a 2018 return use the AGI from that return even though you mailed it in.  If you did not file a 2018 at all, then enter zero for your 2018 AGI.

View solution in original post

@jana8  Since you did not e-file a return in 2019, & mailed it in, try using a Zero (0) for your AGI.  The IRS was backlogged processing 2019 mailed in returns that allot of mailed in returns did not get processed until late.   You can request a transcript, it will show your 2019 AGI & check the date when it was processed.

Most taxpayers who have had a PIN before the IRS discontinued it can still use their PIN that was used in 2019.

The second-best place to get your AGI is from the IRS. You can order a free transcript of your return at the IRS Get Transcript site or you can purchase a full copy of your 2019 return. Both versions will include your AGI.  The Online transcript is easy to apply for & in about 15 mins. you have your information.

See the following:

Why the IRS Discontinued the E-file PIN and What That Means for You

Filing your taxes electronically is convenient and stress-free — but cyber-attacks have targeted the security of the Electronic Filing PIN, a unique signature used to file your taxes online. This attack caused the IRS to change its e-filing identification system for the 2018 tax year. Here's what happened, and what it means for e-filing your taxes this year.

How to File Your Taxes Electronically After the Change

While shuttering the e-file PIN program means you can't request a new PIN for the coming tax year, it's still easy to verify your identity and file your taxes online. Here are your options:

1. Use a Self-Selected or Previously Issued PIN: If you've used a self-selected PIN in previous years, you can use the same PIN to file your taxes electronically for the 2020 tax year—in essence, you'll notice no difference. Or, if you've been issued an Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN), you can use that to file your taxes online.
  2. Use Your 2019 Tax Return: You can also file your taxes online using your adjusted gross income (AGI) from last year's tax return to verify your identity. If you filed your taxes with TurboTax last year, you can access last year's tax filing to find your AGI. Look on Line 8b of the 2019 Form 1040.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Did you file a return at all in 2018?  If you did file a 2018 return use the AGI from that return even though you mailed it in.  If you did not file a 2018 at all, then enter zero for your 2018 AGI.

Have used turbotax for several consecutive year and always mailed my return.  This year I am attempting to e-file.  I keep getting a rejection notice stating IND-031-04 as "what happened".   The AGI from 2019 agrees with the amount listed on my 1040-SR from last year.  So I assume the problem is with the PIN that I created for this year (since I didn't have one for last year).   Can I e-file without entering a PIN?

@jana8 You can e-file with your 2019 AGI only.  The IRS has discontinued the PIN.

That's great to know!  I'll go back to my tax return and see if it can be e-filed without the PIN. Thanks.

@bluedeb  @jana8 

No, that's not correct.

@jana8  enter a five digit self-selected PIN to be used next year.

It will come in handy if you get the TurboTax AGI mismatch error next year.

If you get the AGI mismatch this year,

you won't be able to e-File and you won't be able to select a PIN.

Hello Blue Deb.  I went back to my instructions in my Turbotax deluxe program to re-send my return via e-file and it won't let me proceed without entering a PIN.   Where do I go for help?

I just saw your reply about not being able to file this year via e-file.  Not sure why the IRS should be able to say that my AGI doesn't match when it does.  With all the fraud going on with income taxes should I request a copy of my 2019 taxes from the government?  I have a printed copy and the turbotax program showing it is correct. 

If I have to mail my return this year, I will at least go back and enter a PIN so that next year I will have one to refer to.  Thanks for that suggestion. 

If you enter a PIN but mail your return, the PIN will not be conveyed to the IRS.

@jana8  Since you did not e-file a return in 2019, & mailed it in, try using a Zero (0) for your AGI.  The IRS was backlogged processing 2019 mailed in returns that allot of mailed in returns did not get processed until late.   You can request a transcript, it will show your 2019 AGI & check the date when it was processed.

Most taxpayers who have had a PIN before the IRS discontinued it can still use their PIN that was used in 2019.

The second-best place to get your AGI is from the IRS. You can order a free transcript of your return at the IRS Get Transcript site or you can purchase a full copy of your 2019 return. Both versions will include your AGI.  The Online transcript is easy to apply for & in about 15 mins. you have your information.

See the following:

Why the IRS Discontinued the E-file PIN and What That Means for You

Filing your taxes electronically is convenient and stress-free — but cyber-attacks have targeted the security of the Electronic Filing PIN, a unique signature used to file your taxes online. This attack caused the IRS to change its e-filing identification system for the 2018 tax year. Here's what happened, and what it means for e-filing your taxes this year.

How to File Your Taxes Electronically After the Change

While shuttering the e-file PIN program means you can't request a new PIN for the coming tax year, it's still easy to verify your identity and file your taxes online. Here are your options:

1. Use a Self-Selected or Previously Issued PIN: If you've used a self-selected PIN in previous years, you can use the same PIN to file your taxes electronically for the 2020 tax year—in essence, you'll notice no difference. Or, if you've been issued an Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN), you can use that to file your taxes online.
  2. Use Your 2019 Tax Return: You can also file your taxes online using your adjusted gross income (AGI) from last year's tax return to verify your identity. If you filed your taxes with TurboTax last year, you can access last year's tax filing to find your AGI. Look on Line 8b of the 2019 Form 1040.

@jana8  To add:  Try using a zero for your 2019 AGI, then select any 5 digit number,  the five-digit PIN can be any five digits except all zeros.  See if that helps you.

Good idea.  I just tried that.  Will let you know if it gets accepted this time. 

FYI -- I just talked to someone at IRS and found out that my return (mailed last July 7th) has not even been processed yet because of the backlog at the agency!  So that may help answer additional inquiries about e-filing, too.  

Update!   I just received notice that our tax return was accepted via e-file!  I took your advice and entered "0" for our 2019 AGI and created PIN's for my husband and I.   Thanks for your advice!

@jana8  So glad you were able to e-file your return.  Yeah, allot of mailed in 2019 returns were not processed until late, that is why you would use a zero.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies