Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mglenesk

If I buy a qualifying used E-car under $25K before January 2023 can a person still get the 30% or $4000 tax credit? Or, does a person have to wait till 2023 to purchase?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ShirlynW
Level 7
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

If I buy a qualifying used E-car under $25K before January 2023 can a person still get the 30% or $4000 tax credit? Or, does a person have to wait till 2023 to purchase?

No. According to the IRS, purchases made before 2023 don’t qualify. A person must wait until 2023 to purchase a qualifying used vehicle. Beginning January 1, 2023, if you buy a qualified used electric vehicle (EV) or fuel cell vehicle (FCV) from a licensed dealer for $25,000 or less, you may be eligible for a used clean vehicle tax credit (also referred to as a previously owned clean vehicle credit). The credit equals 30% percent of the sale price up to a maximum credit of $4,000.

Also, the credit is nonrefundable, so you can't get back more on the credit than you owe in taxes. You can't apply any excess credit to future tax years.

For more information : Used Clean Vehicle Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The used EV tax credit for up to $4,000 is only for vehicles put into service after 12/31/2023.

See https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/hybrids-evs/electric-vehicles-that-qualify-for-new-ev-tax-credi...

mglenesk

Oh, Wow. So a person has to basically wait till January 1st, 2024 to get the used E-car tax credit. That seems like a long ways off.

ShirlynW
Level 7
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

No. According to the IRS, purchases made before 2023 don’t qualify. A person must wait until 2023 to purchase a qualifying used vehicle. Beginning January 1, 2023, if you buy a qualified used electric vehicle (EV) or fuel cell vehicle (FCV) from a licensed dealer for $25,000 or less, you may be eligible for a used clean vehicle tax credit (also referred to as a previously owned clean vehicle credit). The credit equals 30% percent of the sale price up to a maximum credit of $4,000.

Also, the credit is nonrefundable, so you can't get back more on the credit than you owe in taxes. You can't apply any excess credit to future tax years.

For more information : Used Clean Vehicle Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mglenesk

Wow - It seems crazy that I can't get the tax break unless I owe a bunch in taxes.

Which if I owed that much it would be a fine for underpayment.

So, to get the tax credit on a used car I have to underpay my taxes by $4000 ± to qualify for a tax break?

Sounds not right,

Mark

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies