turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I am claiming some one who is on food stamps and medicaide, where do I report this?

Can I claim my daughter and her son if I supported them in 2013 but she had government help for food and medicade?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

If I am claiming some one who is on food stamps and medicaide, where do I report this?

The food stamps and medicaid wouldn't prevent them from being your dependent.

You can claim your adult son or daughter if they are your qualifying relatives.  To be a qualifying relative (i.e., a dependent),

•  you must provide more than 1/2 of the individuals support,
  •  they must not earn more than $3,900 of income subject to tax in 2013 (social security doesn't count)
  •  they must not file a joint return with another
  •  If not an actual relative, they must live with you all 365 days of the year, and
  •  they are not a qualifying child of another taxpayer.

Also, all dependents must be citizens of the US, or residents of the US, Canada or Mexico.

You can claim their children (your grandchildren) that live with you if your son or daughter does not claim them, they live with you more than 1/2 of the year, and your income is higher than your child's income.   Alternatively, you can claim them if they meet the same criteria as your child above.

Dependents are added under the personal info tab.

The dependent interview has changed in 2011.  In the Turbotax interview it asks your relationship to your dependent.  Do not select that your grandchild is your child, but do select the other option - i.e., that the dependent is someone else that you support.  That should give you the opportunity to click on a drop down list that includes brother, sister, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, grandchild, grandparent or other.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

The food stamps and medicaid wouldn't prevent them from being your dependent.

You can claim your adult son or daughter if they are your qualifying relatives.  To be a qualifying relative (i.e., a dependent),

•  you must provide more than 1/2 of the individuals support,
  •  they must not earn more than $3,900 of income subject to tax in 2013 (social security doesn't count)
  •  they must not file a joint return with another
  •  If not an actual relative, they must live with you all 365 days of the year, and
  •  they are not a qualifying child of another taxpayer.

Also, all dependents must be citizens of the US, or residents of the US, Canada or Mexico.

You can claim their children (your grandchildren) that live with you if your son or daughter does not claim them, they live with you more than 1/2 of the year, and your income is higher than your child's income.   Alternatively, you can claim them if they meet the same criteria as your child above.

Dependents are added under the personal info tab.

The dependent interview has changed in 2011.  In the Turbotax interview it asks your relationship to your dependent.  Do not select that your grandchild is your child, but do select the other option - i.e., that the dependent is someone else that you support.  That should give you the opportunity to click on a drop down list that includes brother, sister, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, grandchild, grandparent or other.

Carl
Level 15

It depends. You have to figure the qualification of each of them separately. If your daughter meets the requirements for either qualifying child dependent or qualifying relative dependent in Table 3-1 of IRS Publication 17 at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf on page 25, then your daughter qualifies as your dependent. But take note that if your daughter will be filing a tax return there are three things she must do.

1) Your daughter must select the checkbox for "I can be claimed on someone else's tax return"

2) Your daughter can not claim any dependents on her tax return.

3) Your daughter can not file a joint tax return (if married)

For your grandchild, they would also need to meet either set of rules independently of your daughter.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies