turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was claimed as a dependent on my parent’s taxes last year and didn’t get any stimulus money. If I file independently this year will I get the stimulus money from last and this year in my

I’m a 19 year old college student and just started working in December of 2020.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

I was claimed as a dependent on my parent’s taxes last year and didn’t get any stimulus money. If I file independently this year will I get the stimulus money from last and this year in my

Possibly. If you file a 2020 tax return and claim yourself, then you would be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit (stimulus money). It will be added to your tax refund.

Generally, you are eligible to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit if you were a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien in 2020, cannot be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer for tax year 2020, and have a Social Security number valid for employment that is issued before the due date of your 2020 tax return (including extensions).

Note the IRS says cannot be claimed as a dependent, not will not be claimed. It’s possible the IRS will question your filing by yourself if you show only one month of income. You did not say whether you were a college student in 2020, whether you lived with your parents or how much money you made.

Check out the app (Whom May I Claim as a Dependent) to see whether your parents should still be claiming you.

Eligible individuals who did not receive the full amounts of both Economic Impact Payments may claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on their 2020 Form 1040 or 1040-SR.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ErnieS0 Thanks for your response!  Last year I started working on December 2 and in that month I made about $980 and had $8 deducted in federal taxes.  I was also a full time college student for all of 2020 (Spring and Summer) and lived with my parents that entire time. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately, you are not going to qualify for the recovery rebate because your parent's can claim you.   You will get your withholdings back on your return, but if you parent's can claim you (whether they do or not), you are not eligible for the stimulus payments or any other refundable credit.   Your parent(s) can claim you as a dependent on their 2020 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements regarding you:

• They're related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They're under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They lived with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.
Wfjdi0r
Returning Member

"Smart Check "tries to increase my refund amount because I entered zero for previous stimulus checks. I was a dependent in 2019 so wasn't entitled to a stimulus check. In 2020, I could not be claimed so assumed qualified for the next round of stimulus money.

How can i get around the glitch in this Turbotax Home and Business edition.

Thanks,

WFJDI0R

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you are no longer a dependent in 2020, then you qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit. It is not a glitch in TurboTax. 

Generally, if you did not get a first or second round stimulus payment because you did not qualify due to the last tax return filed, and now you qualify due to a change in circumstance, then you will get a Recovery Rebate Credit. The Recovery Rebate Credit is calculated into your overall tax refund and will either increase a refund or decrease the amount of tax owed. 

To qualify, you must:

• Be a US citizen or resident alien.
  • Not be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return. 
  • Have an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) up to $75,000 for individuals and up to $150,000 for married couples filing joint. If your AGI is above this amount, your payment will be reduced. 

@Wfjdi0r 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies