turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Updater fails with Unexpected Error SerializationException. Both for the main program and when trying to install the State program.

Exception dialog attached.  I manually updated TT to R24 to see if it would go away, but it does not.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

Updater fails with Unexpected Error SerializationException. Both for the main program and when trying to install the State program.

I was able to solve it with the following that was found in another answer:

1. Close TurboTax and then click here to download and install SQL Server Compact 4.0 from Microsoft's website.
  2. Open Windows Explorer and browse to the location C:\Program Data\Intuit\Common\Update Service\v4\Global.
  3. Right-click the Global.sdf file and choose Properties.
  4. Click the Security tab.
  5. In the Group or user names area, select your username and click the Edit button.
  6. In the new window, select the Allow checkbox that corresponds to Full Control, and then click OK twice to close the windows.
  7. Try updating TurboTax again.

Katbert

HI, i found clearing out the directory where i was installing the forms etc helped me. If you re-install you may try to remove all files or use a new directory during the install. I also downloaded a copy of turbotax instead of using my dvd rom disk. It ran much faster. Not sure this will help in your situation but it's something to try.

Which file should be downloaded?? I see two choices: 1 is 

SSCERuntime_x64-ENU.exe

and the other is 

SSCERuntime_x86-ENU.exe

Depends on your computer.  Most likely the x64 version, unless you have an old 32-bit computer, then use the x86.

Yep, I did the 64 and got it to work. Thanks.

1) Close TurboTax

2) Go to Task Manager, click on the "Services" tab. Try finding "IntuitUpdateServiceV4".

3) Right click on the service and click on "Stop" to stop the updater service.

4) Once the updater service is stopped, Go to "C:\ProgramData\Intuit" path and delete the "Common" folder.

5) After deletion, restart the Updater service i.e. Go to Task Manager, click on the "Services" tab. Try finding "IntuitUpdateServiceV4" ,right click on the service and then click on "Start" option.

6) Once the Updater service is started, try opening TurboTax again.

Hello.  I tried below, but get a message that the "Global" is corrupted/unreadable when I click on the folder.  Any ideas?

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

To best resolve this issue, please click here to get in contact with customer care. Please be sure to enter the correct product, edition, and a detailed description of your issue. If you see a message that says "We can't find an answer to your issue", please click the "Try Something Else" drop down. Once you fill out the form you will be given a service ticket number and a phone number to contact customer care.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was hours on the phone with tech support, and they couldn't help me.  Thank you.  This worked. 

I tried 5 other fixes. This one worked ! 

HelpMare
Returning Member

The SQL Server Compact Download 4.0 link is no longer available. I manually updated my Federal Turbo Tax but I CANNOT download my State!

BrandiLO1
Intuit Alumni

May I ask what state you are attempting to download @HelpMare? Are you receiving a specific error?

HelpMare
Returning Member

I get Unexpected Error

System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Type is not resolved for member ...

EVERY TIME I go into Turbo Tax, when I try to update it AND when I try to download North Carolina state software.

HelpMare
Returning Member

I just tried KenLam's fix from above and that worked without downloading the SQL. I was able to download North Carolina State software.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies