Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I used the 5 Federal e-files on family. It is not allowing me to upload my state returns; never used. Can I upload the state if not allowed to e-file the Federal?

In other words I used on my five on family, nothing left for me but I would like to e-file the State returns
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

I used the 5 Federal e-files on family. It is not allowing me to upload my state returns; never used. Can I upload the state if not allowed to e-file the Federal?

You cannot prepare a “stand alone” state return. Information flows from the federal to the state return, and you cannot e-file a state return unless you e- file the same taxpayer’s federal return.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Myc
Level 1

I do not see a way to upload my prepared and efiled federal return into the freefile system so that I can file my state taxes electronically.  Is there a way to do this or do I have to enter all the data all over again into the freefile system in order to advance to the state filing?

Yes you would have to enter the federal information again.   It cannot transfer from the other file you created in TT.   However---there may be another catch.   And this one I am not sure of......but in order to e-file a state return the federal has to be e-filed and accepted.  I do not know if your approach will allow you to e-file only the state since you are switching programs.  Guess you will have to let us know.  It is possible that you will have to print and mail the state.  Please post back.  I have not seen anyone try this.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Myc
Level 1

Thanks for your reply.  I hope someone from tech support can address this because it is a simple flat/text file that could be uploaded.  And the federal return was already accepted.  Since the federal filing provides a tracking confirmation number, this too should be a simple text field to enter somewhere in the freefile return to prove it's been filed and accepted.

Oh, it's not really an approach per se.  It is a reaction to the exorbitant fees they want to charge this year to file your state taxes electronically.  This year it would amount to $40 to file without pre-charging a credit card.  This is in addition to having to pay more to have the state software included in the software.  So I've already paid $50 for the software.  $10 dollars went for the State.  So $10 + $40 is $50 to get a mere $199 refund.  That's over 25% charged just to file electronically!  It costs the State way more than $50 to process my refund if I were to mail it in via paper.

Yes.  I will let you know if Intuit's tech team responds with a way to do it or if they fix this deficiency if there's currently no way to do it.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time

Anonymous
Not applicable

another approach is that many states allow on-line prep of its return using its website.  

for example Illinois allows efiling the fed using TT and then using its My-Tax illinois website to efile the state for free.

filed my son's reurn this way to save TT state efile fees. 

You are eligible to file an original IL-1040 via MyTax Illinois if you

• have not filed an individual income tax return for this tax year;
  • are an established Illinois taxpayer or have a valid Illinois Driver’s License or Illinois State Identification Card;
  • have a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN); and
  • have a valid email address.

the people who process paper returns are paid to do that.

You don't save the state any money by not sending it in on paper.

If you want to file a state return, use the command "Add a State". to a return already e-Filed with the IRS.

After that you should be able to e-File the State tax return, or if desired, mail it in.

Myc
Level 1

Any and all times a person is required to process a return versus a software program processing a return, the cost of labor is higher.

Myc
Level 1

Thank you.  Good point and great suggestion.  I'm going to look into state provided alternatives.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies