Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I try to initially save (save as) my turbotax return. Strangely, I get a dialog/error box that says "file not found" and "Check the file name and try again"

Check your windows security settings for Folder Access.  I had the exact same issue, turned off Controlled Folder Access, and then the initial save worked fine. 

John T

I try to initially save (save as) my turbotax return. Strangely, I get a dialog/error box that says "file not found" and "Check the file name and try again"

I am experiencing this same problem with 2019 Turbo Tax Premier.   I have used TT for many years and have never experienced this problem in the past.  If there is a glitch in the program, why is Intuit not taking care of it with the software updates that start up every time you access the program?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you feel you are having issues, please contact customer support by following the instructions below.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300041  

But if you still feel you require additional assistance, you can contact us at (800) 446-8848.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi! I have the same problem as original post. The user has detailed everything I tried before I came searching the web for answers. I am unable to save my returns in any folder on my C Drive. Thanks to the work around of saving it to a thumb drive, I can at least save what I have been working on for now. This is early in the Tax return season. But this could spell a huge trouble when users buy your software and try to save their tax returns as the deadline to file approaches and it gets into full swing. Please have a fix for this soon.

Hanks

I am getting the following message when attempting to do the initial season return save ...

C;\Users\wch\documents\Turbo Tax\2021 Name Form 1040 Individual Tax Return.tax2021

File Not Found

Check the file name and try again.

Why?

Check your windows security settings for Folder Access... Turn off Controlled Folder Access.

Hanks

Ok, that did it

So why does'nt that simple response show up in Frequently Ask Questions?

Just a suggestion

I had the same problem - the 'solution' is to save the file to a thumb drive and then move that file to the hard drive.  Unbelievable that TurboTax has this issue and one has to wonder how much testing they really did perform on the 2021 product.

Having the same issue with TT2021. 

Found a solution.  It might not be Turbo Tax's fault but Windows Security. 

Don't turn off Controlled folder access.  That might compromise your Windows security.  

Here's what you do.  First close your Turbo Tax app.

1. Search "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows

2. Click the link: "Allow an app through Controlled folder access"

3. Click the "+ Add an allowed app" button near the top of the app list

4. Select "Recently Blocked App"

5. Find the Turbo Tax executable

6. Try to save your tax file again.

Hope this helps some of you.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for letting the community know how this helped you! @vialins3

This same issue surfaced for me using TTax Deluxe for 2022 taxes loaded from a CD and updated online.

I appreciate all the efforts you went thru to resolve and document.

I had tried many of these ( and others) myself.

What finally worked for me was the solution to allow the TTax app 'controlled folder access' in my Windows 10 security options.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for sharing your solution with the TurboTax community!

@skepticbillpayer

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies