turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rjwjr

I try to initially save (save as) my turbotax return. Strangely, I get a dialog/error box that says "file not found" and "Check the file name and try again"

I purchased and installed turbotax.

I did the initial start of the data entering return software process.

I tried to save the initial return using the software gui:

"file"

"save" and tried "save as"

The dialog proceeded until I clicked the save button.

Then, instead of simply saving my return file for me, it just fails (every time I have tried this).

The dialog that results from this failure contains these:

"file not found"

"check the file name and try again"

Since I am trying to do the initial save, it should not expect to find the file there yet should it?

If I were performing a subsequent save, it should see the existing file and ask me for permission to over write it with the latest return file, but since this is the first save, it is a total failure to give a "file not found" event.

Initial searches for this error does not provide a fix.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies
Jan425

I try to initially save (save as) my turbotax return. Strangely, I get a dialog/error box that says "file not found" and "Check the file name and try again"

Try looking in your browser to see if anything has already been saved for this return and if so, use that name.

rjwjr

Look in my browser? that does not make sense. Did you read my detailed description of the issue? Did you look at the picture of the TurboTax software "save tax return" dialog box? Please explain further if you are trying to provide a serious answer/suggestion.
rjwjr

Can someone provide instructions to get a response with relevant product support?
rjwjr

This is still broken in this most ridiculous way.

Did you try saving it with a different shorter name?  Try to save it with a simple name and to somewhere else like to the Desktop.  Do you get any error codes?  Here’s one I found
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899721-error-131-there-was-an-error-in-saving-your-file-when-savi...>

And <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2922914-error-10250-turbotax-encountered-an-error-when-saving-or-l...>

Is your hard drive too full?  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901617-error-144-no-disk-space">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions...>

Can you save it as a pdf file?

Actually the .tax and .pdf files should be in your Documents but then in a Turbo Tax subfolder.  Right click on Documents in the left column and make a New folder called TurboTax the try to save into that.

I'm back.  I asked around and the moderation gave me this FAQ to see if it helps
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4044949">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4044949</a>
rjwjr

Results from these suggestions:

Did you try saving it with a different shorter name?
and to somewhere else like to the Desktop
-The filename is generated by the TurboTax application.
-I can and did try using short simple file name and have the same results
-(it fails just the same with same, nonsense reason)

Do you get any error codes?
-The result of all return file save attempts is the same and is as shown in the image file I provided.
-If there are codes, they are not presented to me.
-Do I need to go looking somewhere for error codes?

Is your hard drive too full?
-I have 51.5GB free space.

Can you save it as a pdf file?
-same result, fails with same message.

.tax and .pdf files should be in your Documents but then in a Turbo Tax subfolder.
Right click on Documents in the left column and make a New folder called TurboTax the try to save into that.
-I tried this, -same result, fails with same message.

this FAQ to see if it helps
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4044949">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4044949</a>
-I do not see the error codes referenced in this "FAQ"

This error may be experienced for the following reasons:
1. The file may be corrupted:
-the file does not exist, and TurboTax is failing to create and write it, so it can't be corrupted, and so this does not apply.

2. The location you are saving to has either moved, does not exist, or is corrupted:
-the location does in fact exist, and has not been moved, I can put other things there, create sub-directories, all working, so this does not apply.

3. You may not have Read/Write access privileges to the location you are attempting to save to:
The main cause of not having read/write access is not being logged in as the admin user of the computer.
If saving to a removable drive it could be set to read only If set to read only you will need to set the removable drive to read/write access.

- I am logged in as the (only user) and as admin, it is my home directory, my documents directory, etc. No legitimate reason for me to not have Read/Write access to these directories. It seems also to be verified that I do have Read/Write permission, since I am able to create files and directories there manually.

-This raises the question, that perhaps TurboTax does not have Read/Write permission for some strange reason? If so, it would be nice for TurboTax to recognize this situation.

-I searched and found a number of old complaints by Win 10 users who have lost permission to access their own directories. I tried the "security" "advanced" method of telling Windows to allow me full access to my home and sub-directories. No improvement obtained, the same failure with same message occurs as always. Windows is now so convoluted and there is so much confusion in their posted attempts to fix the issue that I have no confidence of what the issue may be, or how to fix it either.

-TurboTax should provide a valid failure message like "unable to write to the location specified" if this is the cause.

-Then, I tried doing the initial save of my tax return to a thumb drive, which worked just fine. Wow, what a mess, but a simple work around that should be presented in a better way for users, especially in light of the bogus message provided when trying to save the file in the software.

Perhaps when TurboTax fails to save the return file in this way, it can say: "oops, I am failing here, please try to save your return file to a USB thumb drive instead of the default location"

Thanks for posting back what finally worked. It may help someone else.  Then were you able to copy it to the hard drive?  And then start saving directly to the hard drive?  Maybe start a new test return and try saving it too.
rjwjr

I manually copied the file from the thumb drive to the Documents>TurboTax path and that worked perfectly. I then open the file from there to proceed, try to save the updated file, and I get an Error "having trouble saving" dialog box with Error: 102348.

It suggests I try unplugging "my device", which is a bad idea, because it would not be good at all to unplug my C: drive.

I tried again to save another test return file to the default location in Turbotax, and it fails giving the same bogus message as before.

So this is still very broken for an unknown reason, unless I refrain from using my file space on the system drive.

Did you ever try reinstalling the program?  Then update it.   I think it meant to unplug your computer from the internet.
rjwjr

This is a fresh install of the retail TurboTax software from optical media I purchased. It is fully updated. I do not see how unplugging my computer from the Internet would improve the software's ability to save a file to the C: drive. I don't plan to try that.

Please be on the lookout for an email from Social We Care regarding the issue you are experiencing.  Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies