Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold my house last year. Do I have to use Turbo Tax Premier, rather than the Deluxe version to file this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I sold my house last year. Do I have to use Turbo Tax Premier, rather than the Deluxe version to file this year?

If the gains on the primary personal residence that was sold was less then the exclusion amounts, or sold at a loss, then you do not have to report the sale.  Assuming that you lived in and owed the home for at least two years in the 5 year period prior to the date of the sale.  However, if you received a Form 1099-S for the sale, then the sale has to be reported on your tax return (gain or loss) but there would be no capital gains taxes owed.

If you sold your primary personal residence and you lived in and owned the home for at least two years in the five year period on the date of sale, you do not have to report the sale if your gains are less then the exclusion amounts of $250,000 if filing Single or $500,000 if filing Married Filing Jointly (and both lived in the home for two years).  

If you had a gain greater then the exclusion amounts then you would have to report the sale.  Also, if you received a Form 1099-S for the sale either with a gain or a loss, the sale has to be reported.  You will need the online TurboTax Premier or Self-Employed edition to report the sale if you are using the online editions.   Make sure that you indicate that you want the sale of the home reported on your tax return.

12blyons

If i received a 1099-S for the sale of my home.. assuming because I lived there less than 2 years. But i actually took a 10k loss on the sale of my home. do i need to still buy the turbo tax premier?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you received a 1099-S form then you will need to enter the form and sale details on your return. The IRS will also receive a copy of that form and will be looking for it on your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TEF3

Where is 1099-S entered ?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

To enter your Form 1099-S:

1. Sign in to TurboTax and select Pick up where you left off
  2. Select Search, enter sale of home, and select the Jump to link in the search results
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell or have your home foreclosed in 2022?
  4. Enter the address of the home you sold on the next screen, and Continue
  5. On the next screen, answer Yes to Did you receive a Form 1099-S that reported this sale? and enter the info from your 1099-S
  6. On the next screens, follow the on-screen instructions to continue entering the info from your 1099-S

@TEF3 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies