turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I put in the wrong AGI!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

If you e-filed with the wrong AGI it will be rejected when the IRS begins to accept/reject returns on Jan. 27.  After you get the email telling you it is rejected, you can fix it and re-file.  Do not change anything until after you get that email.

Where do I find my AGI?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/01/25947

Your 2018 tax return shows your 2018 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) If you filed a joint return then the AGI is the same for each of you.

Form 1040        line 7

If you are using the same TT account that you used last year, you should also be able to find this number in your Tax Timeline for 2018

If entering the amount from your 2018 tax return does not work, then try entering “0” instead.  If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

You can get a free transcript of your past return from the IRS: 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Note: If you filed late or amended your return, your correct 2018 AGI may not be in the system.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

How do I edit my AGI  I put the wrong one in and Turbo tax was to walk me through it but I got the email and they do not walk  me  through it. [email address removed]

If you already filed you have to wait until the irs rejects the return.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If your AGI is incorrect, the IRS will probably reject your return. If this happens, you will get a notice from TurboTax that your refund was rejected and you be instructed to go back into your return and correct the AGI, then file the return again.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How long do it take for the IRS to reject it if the AGI is wrong?

WKins2
Expert Alumni

It depends on if you e-filed or you mailed in your return. If you e-filed usually the IRS will reject the return in 72 business hours. If you mailed your return it can be up to 6 weeks for the IRS to receive and process the return and then mail you the rejection letter. 

You can keep checking the status of your return by clicking here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/how-do-i-check-my-e-file-status/00/25538

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jlogan12
Returning Member

Yea I put in the wrong agi 6 weeks ago taxes still pending.   I dont know what going on. Hopefully if it get rejected I can refile the whole tax return from scratch ?!?!?!  But I prob take it to a tax rep in my city though.  They gave me different tax refunds due to unemployment I got less with them but it was correct 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies