turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I owed the state $170 and it was taken from my refund but the state is saying I still owe it. Where did this $170 Go?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I owed the state $170 and it was taken from my refund but the state is saying I still owe it. Where did this $170 Go?

Sorry but you misunderstood. It is impossible to pay your state tax due from your federal refund. Those two treasuries are completely separate. You have to pay your state tax due by mailing in a check or money order or  by paying on the state’s tax web site. 

It is possible to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund; that charge would include the fee for using the software plus the refund processing fee of $39.99 ($44.99 in CA).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I am not sure if I am understanding the situation correctly --  if you had refund coming from federal and you wanted that to pay for amounts owed to the State --- that does not work.  TurboTax  nor IRS  can  use your refund  to pay State liabilities.  Federal refund has only two choices -- refund the final amount to the taxpayer or use the refund as advance payment for the following tax year.  The state  works similarly.  TurboTax  can only help you prepare your  federal and state returns, electronically file them for you.  Also if you  so instruct TurboTax can  collect its  fees  from a refund  and transfer the rest to you ( but not pay  on your behalf ).

Does that clear your query or am I  in total left field ?

The state tax can not be deducted from the federal refund.  You can only have the Turbo Tax fees deducted.  You will still get the full federal refund minus any fees you had deducted.  Turbo Tax just shows you a screen at the end showing the Net amount of federal and state combined.  But it is just for your own info.  You do still have to pay the state yourself separately.   See,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/can-i-pay-my-state-taxes-from-my-federal-refund/0...

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the state cover sheet with the Turbotax logo.  If you owed tax, it will show the payment information and how/when you decided to pay.  Read the state payment instructions carefully since most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-fo...

Manage cookies