turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I never received any of the stimulus checks. Am I completing something wrong on the taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I never received any of the stimulus checks. Am I completing something wrong on the taxes?

It on on your 1040 line 30 (for both 2020 & 2021)?  Did you double check your bank accounts?  You didn't get any of these 3?

There have been 3 Stimulus Payments……
EIP1 The first Stimulus payment was 1,200 for each spouse and 500 for each dependent under 17. Came out in spring of 2020.

EIP2 The second Stimulus was 600 per person and dependents under 17. The 2nd stimulus checks started going out at the very end of December 2020 and continued into January/Feb 2021.

The first 2 Stimulus payments went on your 2020 return even if you got the second one in Jan/Feb 2021.

EIP3 The 3rd Stimulus payment started going out in March 2021 and is for 1,400 for each person listed on your tax return, no age limit. The IRS used your 2020 (or 2019) return to send the checks out fast. If your 2021 return changes and you qualify for more you can claim the extra as the Recovery Rebate Credit on 1040 line 30. But line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. Not the amount you already got. The IRS also sent out letter 6475 to tell you how much they sent you . If you are married then each spouse should get a letter for half.

if you didn't receive any of the stimulus checks (and were eligible for them), first place to look is at your 2020 and 2021 tax return.  Look on Line 30 - you could receieve either the Recovery Rebate or the stimulus, but not both.  

So since you state you did not receive the stimulus paymnets, I would expect there to be a number on Line 30 in both years.  What is on that line? 

So let's think.

1. If you never received a check, and you filed a tax return with Turbotax and told Turbotax you did not receive a check, then Turbotax claimed a rebate.  The rebate is on line 30 and is included with the rest of your refund, it's not a separate payment.

So start by checking your 2020 and 2021 tax returns.

2. If you claimed a rebate but the IRS reduced your refund and took the rebate back off (they would also send a notice), this means the IRS thinks they did send a stimulus payment.  In this case, you can't get a rebate even if you never got a stimulus.  You have to trace the missing stimulus instead.  We can tell you how to do this.

Add more details when you know the answers to these questions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies