Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jep4golf

I need to file a decedent return on my father who died January 2019. What form do I use and can I use TurboTax to efile?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JuttaS
Employee Writer

I need to file a decedent return on my father who died January 2019. What form do I use and can I use TurboTax to efile?

Yes, I used TurboTax to file a decedent return for my mom this year. It was easy and I was able to e-file.

In the Personal Info section, when you fill out your father's info, look for a checkbox that says "this person passed away" or similar (cannot recall the exact wording). TurboTax will walk you through the rest of it.

RobertG
Expert Alumni

Yes, the IRS will allow tax returns for deceased taxpayers (also called decedent returns) to be e-filed.

Before you file a decedent return, make sure the Social Security Administration has been notified of the taxpayer's death. You can either go to their website or call 1-800-772-1213.  

Many (but not all) states allow decedent tax returns to be e-filed as well. We'll let you know when you get ready to e-file the state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies