Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jusenia15

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I need to change my PIN number because I forgot it trying to make a new PIN number

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

37 Replies
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I need to change my PIN number because I forgot it trying to make a new PIN number

An Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) is a 6-digit number that the IRS gives taxpayers who were victims of tax-related identity theft. The IP PIN validates a Social Security number's true owner and prevents future tax fraud. Most taxpayers don't need one.

However, if you received an IP PIN or CP01A notice from the IRS in the past (or you opted in to the pilot program) you must use your 2018 IP PIN to validate your identity when you file your 2018 return. We are unable to issue IP PINs and you won't find them on your tax paperwork. You can only get IP PINs from the IRS by following these instructions.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302031

You cannot use last year’s IP PIN. The IRS will send you a CP01A notice with your new IP PIN by early January of 2019. That's the one you'll need to file your 2018 return.

If you lost your IP PIN or haven't received one yet, learn how to get one.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Like to change my PIN number because I forgot it

RobertG
Expert Alumni

For the purpose of signing your electronic return, you can reuse your Self-Select PIN from last year or create a new one to use. It doesn’t matter which option you choose.

The Self-Select PIN is a random five-digit number that you enter as your electronic signature when e-filing your return.

The IP PIN is a six-digit number that the IRS assigns to victims of tax-related identity theft.

@Speaks31

Barrycarter79
Returning Member

Yes I need to change my pin number bc I forgotten my old one 

Barrycarter79
Returning Member

Yes

Barrycarter79
Returning Member

Yes how I can change my pin number

Barrycarter79
Returning Member

Yes please can u help me I need to change my pin number bci forgot my old one

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

There are two different PINs associated with tax returns.

The five digit self-select PIN that was used for signing your e-filed tax return is being phased out. In some cases you can use the PIN you had last year instead of your AGI.

Click here to retrieve your transcript or AGI.

The six digit identity protection PIN is issued by the IRS. It is given automatically if you report identity theft, or you can request it if you want. You can retrieve your IP PIN from the IRS. 

Click here to retrieve your IP PIN.

linda0833

I forgot my pin

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you referring to the Self Select 5 digit pin number? 
If you don't remember the one you chose last year you can create a new one to use.
Please see the TurboTax FAQ: What is the difference between the five-digit Self-Select PIN I created last year and my Self-Select... for more information.

@linda0833

jcooper
Returning Member

I went through the CP301 process to create an account, tryinig to recover my 5 digit PIN and finally got the 6 digit PIN, which doesn't help me because Turbotax form calls for the 5 digit PIN. What can I do?

SamS1
Expert Alumni

If you are at the final stages of completing the File section of TurboTax, the 5 digit pin can be any 5 digits you like.  Some people use their zip code.  This pin would be needed to verify your identity if you call the IRS to inquire about your tax return.  You can enter any 5 digits, its up to you. 

The Identity Protection Pin you applied for through IRS.gov is entered into TurboTax in the Other Tax Situations categories.  After you have logged in and are in your return:

• Go to Search at the top of the screen.
  • Enter Identity Protection PIN the search box. 
  • You will see a Jump To function that will take you to the Identity Protection PIN input screens. 
  • There add your Identity Protection Pin

The Identity Protection PIN issued is good for the current processing year only. You must use your latest IP PIN on any delinquent prior year Forms 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ or 1040PR/SS returns you may file electronically in the current year.

My husband past away in 2020. I, Kim changed the status listing me first. I also reversed the pin no. Mine was 22222, but this year, I entered as 11111. So my e-file is rejected by IRS. How do I correct it? HELP

Where is turbo tax, I can change my pin id

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies