Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I misplaced my 5071c letter how do i get another one

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

38 Replies
DeniseF1

Only the IRS can help you with this issue.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 4 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3379220-question-regarding-5071c-letter-please-see-details

What is the number to call to verify your identity

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

This TurboTax Help has the information that you need.

This has additional information about the 5071c IRS letter.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My. 5071C letter haa been misplaces

@Amoneynerd09 wrote:

My. 5071C letter haa been misplaces

READ the answers provided on this thread.

Bilaal

How did you handle this? DId this get resolved, i cant get through them on the phone or my local IRS office

danym2018

how can I get another 5071c letter??

If you've lost your 501c letter and are trying to e-file, the quickest way to obtain this information is by making an appointment with your local IRS office. Due to covid, you do need to make an appointment ahead of time. 

IRS - How To Make An Appointment At Your Local IRS Office

Please remember, this is truly for your safety as if you did receive such a letter to your home, it means that your address was used fraudulently. 

Dk34
Level 1

When I search for a location to make an appointment,  I'm being told there isnt one near me. How do I speak to a real person.  I dont have a credit card or loan and can not prove my identity online. The phone number provided by the IRS tells me they do t have time for my request then ends the call. I have no idea what to do. 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

The 5071C letter means that the IRS has received your return, but needs more information from you to verify your identity.

You can do either of the following:

(For either option, you’ll need a copy of your prior year tax return, current return, and supporting documents like W-2s, 1099s, or Schedule C).

If you didn’t file the return in question, choose either option to notify the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much, I've had this problem since I misplaced my letter about a month ago but I've been weary of calling any numbers I found from other websites because I know that there are scammers out there waiting for stuff like that, there's a website that is IRS.com instead of irs.gov that is very similar looking and will get people's info if they don't recognize it... But since this is turbotax I know it's legit so thank you so much

Donna77

I faxed copy of letter sent and sent death certificate for my husband James Lindsey I have not heard anything for 2 months. Please send letter if I need to do it again. My name is Donna Lindsey ssn# is [removed].  I have misplaced the original letter. 

I just happened to see this question pop up in my email right before bed, I resolved my issue by calling the identity verification number that was in the letter that I had misplaced, (5071c) you would have to call right when they open at 7 am on weekdays I believe to be able to get through but I hope this helps, [phone number removed]. just tell em the truth it got misplaced, the person was very helpful and it didn't cause any problems you just gotta get someone on the phone very early... good luck! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies