Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the minimum operating system requirement for mac next year (turbotax 2019)? I'm currently using mac os sierra 10.12.6. will that work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

What is the minimum operating system requirement for mac next year (turbotax 2019)? I'm currently using mac os sierra 10.12.6. will that work?

Mac CD/Download Products

Below are the minimum requirements for TurboTax Federal 2018 software installed on a Mac computer.

Processor
  • Multi-core Intel Processor with 64-bit required.
Monitor
  • 1024x768 screen resolution or higher.
Operating Systems
  • macOS Sierra 10.12 or later.
RAM
  • 2 GB or more recommended.
Hard Disk Space
  • 650 MB for TurboTax.
Internet Connection
  • 56 Kbps modem (Broadband connection highly recommended).
  • Required for product updates.

No help. Got that info online.  I’m looking not next years (2019 tax) not this year. Heard system requirements would be going up.
TomK
Expert Alumni

I'm sorry, but system requirements for 2019 software has NOT been announced yet. You will probably have to wait until Summer or even Fall to find out. Thank you...

No help. Got that info online.  I’m looking not next years (2019 tax) not this year. Heard system requirements would be going up.

Please check with your staff. I seem to remember after using Turbo Tax 2018, the program warned me that I would need to upgrade to at least High Sierra: I am on Sierra now. I would want to verify this information as well before going through the trouble of upgrading my OS.

@redjamie 

@deanlsteele 

@TomK 

Apparently, 10.13 or "higher"   (but "higher" does not guarantee 10.15 or 10.16  etc, unless they are released before 2019 TTX is released.   OS X versions released after the TTX software comes out may not always work with the earlier years desktop software either).

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/re-what-version-of-mac-os-is-needed-for-...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Ok, thank you: this explanation is helpful.  High Sierra it is then to be safe.

Yes. Mac OS X 10.13 (High Sierra) will work fine for TurboTax 2019.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you!

I just noticed that the website lists 10.13 (Sierra) as the minimum MAC OS for Turbo Tax 2019.  This should be corrected to read High Sierra.  There is a lower version called Sierra.

@redjamie wrote:

I just noticed that the website lists 10.13 (Sierra) as the minimum MAC OS for Turbo Tax 2019.  This should be corrected to read High Sierra.  There is a lower version called Sierra.

Good catch - I will notify the Moderators. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies