turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marsgibs
Returning Member

I'm head of house but applying for disability. Son's disabled. His check is only house income right now. I have 11 yo. Who's whose dependent? Qualifying stimulus amount?

Son's check is in both my name and his. He's 25. Under these circumstances I don't know who is legally considered the dependent(s), if either or of us needs to file taxes (I couldn't work last year) or who qualifies for a stimulus check. Very confusing! Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

I'm head of house but applying for disability. Son's disabled. His check is only house income right now. I have 11 yo. Who's whose dependent? Qualifying stimulus amount?

https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
marsgibs
Returning Member

I need actual answers. That link doesn't have specifics to my situation so doesn't help, but thanks anyway. 

Do not claim your 25 year old son as a dependent for purposes of the stimulus check.  if you do, HE will not receive a check.  He should receive one based on being the recipient of Social Security--this should be automatic.  You should receive a check for yourself and your younger child who you say is under 16.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
marsgibs
Returning Member

So even though his checks are both related to disability and not just regular SS (for the elderly) he should get his check automatically? I read that for those on SS they amended it so they didn't have to file taxes, because at first they did, but I thought I saw where it said that that didn't apply to SS disability and they still have to file even though some were lobbying to get that changed too. 

And I just file taxes for myself and my daughter with no income claimed for us then to get the $1700 or do I just need to give my info on the link you shared first for that? 

Thank you for your help!! 

Social Security and Stimulus Payments

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm967

marsgibs
Returning Member

Thanks. It said social security but didn't specifically say that included those who receive disability. SS, SSD, and SSI are all different which is why I'm still not sure. 

marsgibs
Returning Member

If your son receives a SSA1099 he is getting Social Security.

marsgibs
Returning Member

I don't think he does receive one, but I'll check the records. Also found this regarding the difference between SSI and SSDI. SSI only recipients still have to file according to this. https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/will-i-get-a-coronavirus-stimulus-check-if-im-collecting...

marsgibs
Returning Member

What exactly he is on has always been confusing. He got a check from his dad's disability when my son was a minor. Then when he got his own disability approved he got a check for his own disability for about a month, and then they said now that he qualified for his own he would go back to getting one from his dad's disability plus the SSI of his own.  Made no sense to me. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies