turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm filing my 2020 return using TurboTax Deluxe 2020 Mac desktop version. How do I import last year's TurboTax return into this year's software?

Previous versions of the software used to guide me through it, but this year there's no instruction, and all of last year's columns read $0.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

I'm filing my 2020 return using TurboTax Deluxe 2020 Mac desktop version. How do I import last year's TurboTax return into this year's software?

It didn't ask you to transfer from 2019 when you started?   Do you have the 2019 tax file on your computer?   It ends in .tax2019 and should be in your Documents.

How to find tax files on Mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-in-mac/00/26206 

If you want to transfer you will have to start over with a new return.   How to transfer into Mac Desktop

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-the-t...

VolvoGirl - I appreciate the time you took to explain how to import previous year's tax return - but it did not work for me. The process went smoothly - I got a message saying the transfer of 2019 return was successful. But all my "wages and income" columns for 2019 are still $0.  So, I opened TurboTax 2019 software to make sure the 2019 saved file was good - and it showed all my income, stock carryovers, and interest income correctly. Now I'm really stumped and don't know what to do.

Sorry I don't know the Mac version.  @macuser_22 

Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time
Monday-Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Only thing I can think of is if you have more than one 2019 return file (.tax2019) on your computer and transferred from the wrong one.   When you open 2019 in the 2019 program maybe save it or duplicate it with another name so you know which one to transfer.

Where are you  looking for your 2019 information in 2020 - what form?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The 2019 column would be on the summary or review screens or in the Income or deduction lists, not in the return.

I know, and I have imported dozens of times and it works perfect every time,  but exactally where is the poster looking?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you for posting. I'm referring to the columns under the "Federal Taxes" main tab, and the "Wages and Income" sub-tab. I'm using the "I'll choose what I work on" option. You'll see there are two columns. One with last year's data, and one for this year's. Normally, after importing last year's (2019) TurboTax return saved file - the past year column - which is 2019 for the 2020 return - will show last year's data, including any tax loss carryover, interest earned, capital gains, etc. But..... that is all showing "$0" right now - despite what seemed like a successful transfer of my 2019 TurboTax file into my 2020 TurboTax software. I'm taking the suggestion to "resave" the 2019 return - and try importing that. I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks for your comments, it's helping me sort this out.

Wow that worked!! I noticed when I opened my 2019  version of TurboTax - it updated to the latest version. I recently changed from an older Mac with an older operating system (that could not be updated) to a newer Mac with the latest OS. I think I first saved 2020 Turbo into that older system. So today... I re-saved last year's return and re-transferred it into TurboTax 2020 and it is now working properly!  It is populating all the columns in "Wages and Income" under the "Federal Taxes" tab - with all of last year's data, some of which is important to this year's return (which is why I wanted it there). Thank you for your help!! You helped me solve the issue!!

Glad you got it.   Thanks for letting us know!   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies