turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just tried to file back taxes and someone claimed my child. How can I find out if they been claiming my children for years prior to 2017 not just till now?!

I paper filed with all document's. So please if you can answer. I haven't worked from 2014 to 2017 and I believe the same person is claiming my children. I worked 2017 to 2019 and efile got rejected that how I found out. And I know the other person will get fined but can the irs check for all years someone using my children on the taxes? Not just 2017 to 2019?   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I just tried to file back taxes and someone claimed my child. How can I find out if they been claiming my children for years prior to 2017 not just till now?!

if you have evidence someone filed a false tax return, IRS has a form for that to report the person to the IRS.

BUT if you file your return on paper via US Mail it will have the same effect - IRS will want to know who is the custodian and will ask for proof from both of you.

Replies in your other thread:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/efile-rejected-someones-used-my-kids-on-taxes-tri...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

"I just tried to file back taxes" 

It is not clear how you tried to file back taxes.  If you tried to use the online software for any year other than 2019 you were making a mistake.  The online software was ONLY for 2019---no other year.  2017 and 2018 have to be prepared using desktop software and they have to be printed, signed and mailed in separate envelopes.

Further complications now are that the deadline to file a 2019 return for the first time was October 15.  If you tried to e-file a 2019 return by that deadline and it was rejected, you have until October 20 to fix it and e-file it again.  But you have a Social Security number problem if someone claimed your child, and the reason for that rejection cannot be fixed,  The only way you can file your 2019 return claiming your children is to print, sign and mail the return.  But .....that 2019 return cannot have income from the other years on it.  Only your 2019 income can be on that return.  If you made a mistake and included the "back taxes" on the same return you must delete the income for any other year and mail a return that has only your 2019 income on it.

To prepare and file 2017 and 2018 you need to download desktop software and prepare two other returns--one for 2017 and one for 2018, which you must mail in separate envelopes.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

So...again.....claim your children on your own tax returns.  Mail the tax returns.  Then let the IRS sort it out.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies