turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

en25adr
Returning Member

i just did my taxes and it shows I owe $145 in taxes & $11 in penalty/interest. I received some money from a lawsuit and sent in an estimated tax payment in the same quarter I received the money. Why was I charged a penalty?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

i just did my taxes and it shows I owe $145 in taxes & $11 in penalty/interest. I received some money from a lawsuit and sent in an estimated tax payment in the same quarter I received the money. Why was I charged a penalty?

"Underpayment penalties are assessed if you don't withhold or pay enough tax on income received during each quarter.

In fact, it's entirely possible to get hit with an underpayment penalty even though you paid your tax bill in full by the April deadline or are getting a refund". Ref: TurboTax

Why am I getting an underpayment penalty

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did you enter the estimated payment with the date paid?

You might be able to eliminate it or at least reduce it.  You can go to Federal Taxes tab or Personal tab, under Other Tax Situations and select Start by the Underpayment Penalties. You will answer a series of questions that may reduce or eliminate the penalty. Or you can elect to have the IRS figure the penalty for you.  It's form 2210.

It's under

Federal or Personal (for Home & Business Desktop)

Other Tax Situations

Additional Tax Payments

Underpayment Penalties - Click the Start or update button

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies