Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have to calculate my child’s MAGI from her 1040, I do have the 1040 as she has filed her taxes, but instructions say to add up lines 2a -8b, there are no numbers there?

MAGI MODIFIED ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME.  Do I put a zero?  Her income was only around six thousand, not sure about how to move forward?  Thank you!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

I have to calculate my child’s MAGI from her 1040, I do have the 1040 as she has filed her taxes, but instructions say to add up lines 2a -8b, there are no numbers there?

Since she filed her own tax return you do not enter any of her income information on your tax return.  I do not know if she qualifies as your dependent or not.  But to qualify you would have had to say that she qualifies as a dependent on some else's return on her return.  If you did that and she qualifies otherwise, then you would enter her personal information on your return as a dependent.  This is where you would enter that information:

If you need to revisit the Dependents section in TurboTax Online, here's what you do:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax, if you aren't already in it.
  2. Select My Info in the left navigation.
  3. Select the Add a dependent button if you need to add someone. Select the trash can icon next to the name of a dependent to remove them (we'll ask you to confirm removing them before we take them off your return).

Here is how to determine if your child qualifies as a dependent.

There are two types of dependents, each subject to different rules: 

• A qualifying child 

• A qualifying relative 

For both types of dependents, you’ll need to answer the following questions to determine if you can claim them. 

• Are they a citizen or resident? The person must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, U.S. resident, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. Many people wonder if they can claim a foreign-exchange student who temporarily lives with them. The answer is maybe, but only if they meet this requirement. 

• Are you the only person claiming them as a dependent? You can’t claim someone who takes a personal exemption for himself or claims another dependent on his own tax form. 

• Are they filing a joint return? You cannot claim someone who is married and files a joint tax return. Say you support your married teenaged son: If he files a joint return with his spouse, you can’t claim him as a dependent. 

Qualifying child 

In addition to the qualifications above, to claim an exemption for your child, you must be able to answer "yes" to all of the following questions. 

• Are they related to you? The child can be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, adopted child or an offspring of any of them. 

• Do they meet the age requirement? Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled. 

• Do they live with you? Your child must live with you for more than half the year, but several exceptions apply. 

• Do you financially support them? Your child may have a job, but that job cannot provide more than half of her support. 

• Are you the only person claiming them? This requirement commonly applies to children of divorced parents. Here you must use the “tie breaker rules,” which are found in IRS Publication 501. These rules establish income, parentage and residency requirements for claiming a child. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

15 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Please see the screenshot below. You can see that these lines are where all types of income would be included. Did she have income? Did she actually create and file a return?

Thank you so much for your response, yes she has filed her taxes and I have her 1040 in front of me for 2020.

I am filing my own taxes now and using TurboTax intuit program... earlier this week I was going through all the steps, but skipped that ? As I didn’t know what amount to enter?  Now as I begin to wrap things up, I cannot find where I have to enter her tax info on my taxes!!! Can you help?  If she has filed her own taxes but is still claimed as my dependent(age 17), do I have to put this in my taxes?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

So, initially you said there were no numbers on her return for Lines 2a-8b. Do you have the numbers now? If you have her form and there is no income on the 1040 when there should be, she did it wrong. If you are pressed for the information now, include the $6,000 as it would have either been W-2 wages or Self-employment income. 

I am assuming this has to do with Form 1095-A and total household income. Go back to the Healthcare section and go screen by screen. If it doesn't show, delete the 1095-A and re-do it.

Here's the general procedure for viewing the forms list and deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

Yes, she filed her taxes and I do have the 1040, there are numbers there but not on line 2b.  Now as I am going back through mailing my taxes, I cannot find where I was prompted to enter her info...maybe I do not have to enter her info on my taxes since she has filed now???

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for your time, I cannot find where TurboTax prompted me to enter her info a few days ago!!  She has filed, there are numbers on the 1040, I just thought he instructions in saw said enter total from lines 2b-8, and there are only numbers on 1, 9, 11, 12, 14, 15, is 0. (So now I don’t know if I even have to fill out something for her income on my taxes, because I cannot find it now!)

Thank you for your time, I cannot find where TurboTax prompted me to enter her info a few days ago!!  She has filed, there are numbers on the 1040, I just thought he instructions in saw said enter total from lines 2b-8, and there are only numbers on 1, 9, 11, 12, 14, 15, is 0. (So now I don’t know if I even have to fill out something for her income on my taxes, because I cannot find it now!)

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Since she filed her own tax return you do not enter any of her income information on your tax return.  I do not know if she qualifies as your dependent or not.  But to qualify you would have had to say that she qualifies as a dependent on some else's return on her return.  If you did that and she qualifies otherwise, then you would enter her personal information on your return as a dependent.  This is where you would enter that information:

If you need to revisit the Dependents section in TurboTax Online, here's what you do:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax, if you aren't already in it.
  2. Select My Info in the left navigation.
  3. Select the Add a dependent button if you need to add someone. Select the trash can icon next to the name of a dependent to remove them (we'll ask you to confirm removing them before we take them off your return).

Here is how to determine if your child qualifies as a dependent.

There are two types of dependents, each subject to different rules: 

• A qualifying child 

• A qualifying relative 

For both types of dependents, you’ll need to answer the following questions to determine if you can claim them. 

• Are they a citizen or resident? The person must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, U.S. resident, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. Many people wonder if they can claim a foreign-exchange student who temporarily lives with them. The answer is maybe, but only if they meet this requirement. 

• Are you the only person claiming them as a dependent? You can’t claim someone who takes a personal exemption for himself or claims another dependent on his own tax form. 

• Are they filing a joint return? You cannot claim someone who is married and files a joint tax return. Say you support your married teenaged son: If he files a joint return with his spouse, you can’t claim him as a dependent. 

Qualifying child 

In addition to the qualifications above, to claim an exemption for your child, you must be able to answer "yes" to all of the following questions. 

• Are they related to you? The child can be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, adopted child or an offspring of any of them. 

• Do they meet the age requirement? Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled. 

• Do they live with you? Your child must live with you for more than half the year, but several exceptions apply. 

• Do you financially support them? Your child may have a job, but that job cannot provide more than half of her support. 

• Are you the only person claiming them? This requirement commonly applies to children of divorced parents. Here you must use the “tie breaker rules,” which are found in IRS Publication 501. These rules establish income, parentage and residency requirements for claiming a child. 

Thank you!  This was so helpful!  I am thinking since I started my tax preparation before she filed hers, it prompted me to enter her income, but she finished filling her taxes while I am still working at mine and I am no longer seeing that as required in mine!?  

She is my dependent and we did put that in her tax filing as well.  Thank you and be sure to correct me if I am wrong!  

🙂 Thanks again!

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Sounds good!

I am being prompted for my child's MAGI in the section regarding our health insurance plan. Since we are on a marketplace plan and received APTC, the child's income is needed for that calculation. Perhaps that is where you saw it?

Hal_Al
Level 15

For most people, especially student-dependents, MAGI is the same as AGI. The figure used to determine eligibility for premium tax credits and other savings for Marketplace health insurance plans and for Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP). MAGI is adjusted gross income (AGI) plus these, if any: untaxed foreign income, non-taxable Social Security benefits, and tax-exempt interest.

• For many people, MAGI is identical or very close to adjusted gross income.
  • MAGI doesn’t include Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
  • MAGI does not appear as a line on your or your dependent's  tax return.
Tileworks
Returning Member

The current description is for a previous tax year and hasn't been updated. It should read "by adding line 2a to line 9". 

In the 2019 tax year, line 8b was the adjusted gross income. For 2020 however, this is line 9. TurboTax failed to update the description accordingly.

By starting with line 2a,  is Turbotax suggesting that wage income (Line 1) should not be included as part of the MAGI?

StephiiC5
Returning Member

Best answer yet!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies