Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Teo93117
Returning Member

I have several accounts with Fidelity and one has more than 3000 Stock sales. I know how to do that one (with other software), but TT Premier (Desktop) does not let me load the other trans in other accts. How can I get TT load them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Teo93117
Returning Member

I have several accounts with Fidelity and one has more than 3000 Stock sales. I know how to do that one (with other software), but TT Premier (Desktop) does not let me load the other trans in other accts. How can I get TT load them?

Let me add. In TT Premier I try to load INT and DIV forms, so I type in my account and password and it gives me the 3000 over limit without giving me the opportunity to select which forms to download. Do I have to do everything manually?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

No, you should be able to import. However, if it does now work, you may have to enter it manually. 

Where do I enter my 1099-DIV in the TurboTax CD/Download software? How to import a 1099

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Teo93117
Returning Member

Thanks for your response. I agree that I should be able to download the other forms, but TT Premier does not allow me to do that. I paid good money to get TT Premier and it is not working according to specifications. That is a big problem.  Also, why the limit on 3000 transactions. We are not living in the past century when computer memory was limited. These days we have many giga-bites of main memory.

@Teo93117 

At tax time, you have the option to summarize your transactions by Sales Category.

IRS requires details to be listed on  a Form 8949,
or on your other forms (e.g. consolidated 1099-B) which have the same information and in the same manner as Form 8949.
Either way, if you choose to summarize, you have to mail the transaction details to the IRS within three business days of IRS accepting your e-Filed tax return.(unless you have attached a PDF of the transactions details to your e-Filed return. TurboTax does not offer this feature).
Exception: if you summarize Category A or Category D, Form 8949 is not needed for transactions without adjustments. No mailing is necessary.

---
As an active investor, be aware that your category Box A or Box D sales without adjustments do not require Form 8949, so there is no reason to import or key in those transactions.
Instead use the "enter a summary" option to put your numbers on Schedule D Line 1a or Line 8a.
--
If you have wash sales, it gets more complicated since those adjusted transactions have to be itemized on Form 8949 and the summary totals adjusted accordingly.

Enter the wash sales on Form 8949, then use the subtotal results on the bottom of that form to know how much to subtract. Be sure to NOT check the adjustments box in the summary window.
--
Alternatively, if entry of Wash Sales is too tedious,
summarize and check the box for adjustments and enter the disallowed amount.
This summary will go on Schedule D Line 1b.
You will be making the mail-in election.

Teo93117
Returning Member

Thanks for your response.  I tried to summarize the transactions, but that works only if your total sales ate less than 10,000,000, which is not my case. I do not understand why there is the 10,000,000 million restriction. TT Premier looks like software written last Century. Same comment about the 3000 transactions. As a Computer Scientist I do not understand this limitation especially now that home computers come with 5-10 GB of memory! Can someone explain why such limitations exist in 2021 software (or for that matter in software this Century)?

There are lots of talented Computer Scientists that you can hire to resolve these silly limitations.

Thanks for listening, but we need software changes to conform with current home computers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies